Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Socially ostracized and silenced
Socially ostracized and silenced
I have thought extremely long and hard about "coming out" as an atheist on online communities etc.

Even now I have a certain degree of doubt hindering my expression, but I've finally decided to go for it.

I was born a free human but quickly indoctrinated into the world of Islam.

Studying religion was almost an inherent interest for the longest time and I "sought" to "find" God through research for the longest time. But the deeper I searched, the more impossible it became for me to continue to believe.

My research had the opposite effect - and I was lost and confused for the longest time till I stumbled upon evolutionary biology recently and came across Dawkins' "God Delusion". I haven't read through the entire book yet, but one thread led to another and soon I was exposed to the likes of Sam Haaris, Christopher Hitchens --- this led to discovering many of the Youtube Atheists (Thunderfoot, OMGitscriss, Darkmatter, Thelivingdinosaur, Potholer etc) - and they opened me up to stop assuming the existence and researching to prove the existence but question the very existence itself.

I'd always known that there were some deep inconsistencies in religions - especially their archaic ways, and of course, the way people cherry-picked teachings to suit their convenience.

Anyways, recently I came out in front of my family - and since then I've been called everything from stupid to a heretic. One of the reasons I was divorced was because of my lack of religious beliefs and constant questioning of it and finally I now have an impossible time making friends because 97% of the people in my country are religious.

I've had several highly emotional experiences since leaving religion - and the process is still somewhat incomplete (in the sense that I still have a lot to learn about the world that was hidden from me).

I feel like I'm a sponge now and kinda wish that I was still a young child who hadn't lost almost half of his life being trapped in a religious world. This is my first experience amongst atheists.

Anyways - that's my story. It feels good to get it out.
RE: Socially ostracized and silenced
Thank you for sharing your story!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thanks for sharing! Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?
Enjoy, F/T.

Religion also played a large part in my divorce. I'm an atheist and my ex is the Devil.

Thanks! I'll be here all week!

Yes, I'm also curious what country you are from?
I'm from Pakistan.
It's pretty brave of you to come out, Free Thinker.
Congratulations on entering the real world!

I have a friend (really more of a business associate) who lives in Peshawar. I have never talked of beliefs with him but I get the impression he is quite religious. It seems that Islamic countries are far better at indoctrination than those dominated by other religions.

I give you great kudos for breaking the bonds of your born religion and having the courage to come out about it.

I am quite happy you are here and hope maybe you can provide some more insightful rebuttals to the muslims that pop in and out of this place on a seemingly endless basis.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
Psh, I'm from Alaska... and nobody ever told me I was brave to come here Angry

Newbies, I tell ya. They've got this lower standard to meet Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(April 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: Psh, I'm from Alaska... and nobody ever told me I was brave to come here Angry

Newbies, I tell ya. They've got this lower standard to meet Wink

Made me laugh. I couldn't hold back the mental image of an irate Inuit wielding a frozen sculpin.