Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creation of Adam in my room: yay or nay?
Creation of Adam in my room: yay or nay?
My roommate and I moved into our place in October. I pay a little more than she does, and I get the HUGE bedroom. I have two, count 'em, TWO closets! It's a dream.

Anyway, what I also have is this huge white wall at one end of my room. I really want to work a huge puzzle and hang it there, but puzzles of the size I require aren't that common. I have, however, come across one that is about 9 1/2 feet wide by 4 1/2 feet tall, and it's Michelangelo's Creation of Adam. I've always loved that piece, but with me, like, not believing in the creation story and all, would it be creepy to hang it in my bedroom? I mean, if I ever do find myself in a relationship again, it will probably be with a non-believer (one can only hope), and I don't want him or her headed for the hills. We already have things like Jesus in a Bottle in the living room, and various other religious sundries littered all over the house because, well, it's funny. But there's no parody to Michelango, IMO, so I'm having trouble deciding.

What do you guys think?
RE: Creation of Adam in my room: yay or nay?
Put stick-on googly eyes on Adam and God.
(April 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: My roommate and I moved into our place in October. I pay a little more than she does, and I get the HUGE bedroom. I have two, count 'em, TWO closets! It's a dream.

Anyway, what I also have is this huge white wall at one end of my room. I really want to work a huge puzzle and hang it there, but puzzles of the size I require aren't that common. I have, however, come across one that is about 9 1/2 feet wide by 4 1/2 feet tall, and it's Michelangelo's Creation of Adam. I've always loved that piece, but with me, like, not believing in the creation story and all, would it be creepy to hang it in my bedroom? I mean, if I ever do find myself in a relationship again, it will probably be with a non-believer (one can only hope), and I don't want him or her headed for the hills. We already have things like Jesus in a Bottle in the living room, and various other religious sundries littered all over the house because, well, it's funny. But there's no parody to Michelango, IMO, so I'm having trouble deciding.

What do you guys think?

It is a very beautiful piece.

I would hope that, were you to get into a relationship, he would be aware of your non-belief before he found himself in your bedroom. Not that have a problem with the find em-fuck em-forget em philosophy, but we are talking about, after all, a relationship. I mean, if you were just doing a hit and run, who would care if they ran for the hills after seeing it?

Can you post a picture of Jesus In A Bottle? I have GOT to see that one.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
I like a lot of other religiously themed art too. My thoughts are "who the fuck cares?" because I ALSO like a lot of pagan themed art (William Bougereau's "Birth of Venus" being up in the top favorites). Art is art. If your partner thinks you have a problem being an atheist because you happen to have awesome art of a religious bent, you probably should be running from them.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I have to admit I've always liked that painting too; not for the symbolism of course, but I'm appreciative of any skilful piece. My fondness for it increased when I learned that the God figure is almost certainly sitting inside an anatomically-accurate representation of the numan brain.

If you're in the mood for a little vandalism, there's tons of scope for the atheistically creative. Here's a little inspiration:

[Image: Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg]

[Image: TheCreationOfAdam.jpg]

[Image: 514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg?region=name:Front...59905,w:16]

[Image: adam+cursor.jpg]

[Image: et-poster.jpg]

There's also a famous one of Adam flipping the bird, but it somehow eluded my Google Image search.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You could make Adam's manhood life-size. Apparently "in god's image" isn't always flattering.

Cum to think of it, this would be a reasonable explanation of why Mary can't recall the shag that produced Jesus.
Hahaha! Those are awesome, Stimbo!

And for Baalzebutt (sorry it's blurry. I think Jesus has been breathing a little too heavily in there):

[Image: IMG_0464.jpg]

As for having someone in my room, yeah, I'm looking for a relationship, not a hit-it-and-quit-it situation, and I probably wouldn't end up with someone headed for the hills for something like this, but Adam's little teeny dong might be a liiiiiiittle creepy. I think I'm gonna go for it anyway, though Devil
(April 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: My roommate and I moved into our place in October. I pay a little more than she does, and I get the HUGE bedroom. I have two, count 'em, TWO closets! It's a dream.

What do you guys think?

Put it up there, I love bible imagery and all sorts of myths. I don't believe in thor but believe me if i found ancient norse art work it WOULD get put up in my room. I don't think anyone takes it too seriously.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I like a lot of religious art as well, but it's a very personal thing, and depends on the piece. For a long time (until the hook broke), I had an iconic portrait of Jesus Christ in a gilded frame over my bed. I don't know why. It just seemed to fit. (I was raised Christian, but I was never overly religious, and lost my faith fairly early.)

A wall size copy of Adam. Hrm. I must confess, it sounds a bit creepy to me. I'm enamored with Michelangelo and that work (the Chapel, I mean), but I'm not sure set and setting and such agrees with my taste. But then, as noted, it's a very personal thing. I'm sure Jesus over your bed would creep a lot of non-believers out. (The bulk of the pieces I have in my home are either Hindu or Buddhist. Though I have some miscellaneous pieces: pre-raphaelite works [I have a 'copy' of William Holman Hunt's "Scapegoat" — my favorite painting — in a gilded wooden frame], a small postcard of the Pieta, stuff from Mexico, and so on, but the bulk is Asian. Oh, and of course, I have a good bit of non-religious art, too.)

I dunno. Even if you're open to religious art, I think there may be some uses that may clash in predictable or unpredictable ways.

[Image: hand%20of%20god%2C%20beer%20normal_1034181841.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wooo-Hoooo, Yay 'Murrica Minimalist 6 458 June 29, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  AF Skype Room: Why I Miss Its Activity Edwardo Piet 16 2886 October 31, 2016 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  sharing a room/flat with a theist mcolafson 5 579 September 1, 2016 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Sexism because Adam Sandler didn't wear a dress Napoléon 17 2807 June 18, 2015 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Exian
  Room 101 ManMachine 9 2002 November 5, 2014 at 10:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My reptile room/bedroom Doggey75 16 2723 May 3, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Schizophrenic Room-mate Creed of Heresy 35 8313 June 4, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  4 Fantastic Feats of Creation Science. leo-rcc 2 1049 January 15, 2012 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Braveheart
  Yay! I have exactly 2000 posts! Rhizomorph13 13 3616 June 6, 2011 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Room 101 bozo 10 5730 November 13, 2008 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Jason Jarred