Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AF Skype Room: Why I Miss Its Activity
AF Skype Room: Why I Miss Its Activity
The AF Skype Room still exists but is inactive. I super duper miss the activity in it because I super duper miss the AF voice and video calls on Skype, and I super miss the Cards Against Humanity group voice calls on Skype... and the AF Skype room was great for that.

Slack doesn't have voice or video calls.

Slack lags and doesn't have animated emoticons... it isn't Skype.

I'm currently the admin of the AF Skype Room but no one is active there... besides Poca who messaged earlier.

Seems kind of a shame for it to go inactive there.
RE: AF Skype Room: Why I Miss Its Activity
Slack does have animated emoticons. You can add custom ones too.
(October 30, 2016 at 9:24 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: The AF Skype Room still exists but is inactive. I super duper miss the activity in it because I super duper miss the AF voice and video calls on Skype, and I super miss the Cards Against Humanity group voice calls on Skype... and the AF Skype room was great for that.

Slack doesn't have voice or video calls.

Slack lags and doesn't have animated emoticons... it isn't Skype.

I'm currently the admin of the AF Skype Room but no one is active there... besides Poca who messaged earlier.

Seems kind of a shame for it to go inactive there.

Pretty sure I have seen a call option on Slack...
Slack > Skype
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Yeah but I think you can only call one person at a time unless you pay for some expensive package.
(October 30, 2016 at 9:26 am)Tiberius Wrote: Yeah but I think you can only call one person at a time unless you pay for some expensive package.

Meh, it doesn't really bother me. I personally don't do voice calls anyway.

Slack is much better than Skype IMO.
I've never been in that Room, so I can't miss something I know nothing about. But I definitely don't miss Skype. I haven't used to for over a year - Microsoft destroyed that program and turned it into a bug loaded shit. The worst bug of all which made me stop using it was the case when Skype decides it has to stop obeying the sound volume sliders and sets a very high volume which destroys my ear drums.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(October 30, 2016 at 9:26 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Slack > Skype

Why, in your opinion? I mean apart from having little game-playing robots running around Wink what I mean is it seems to me to be a lot more laggy/less responsive than Skype and that's important for real time chat.
(October 30, 2016 at 9:25 am)Tiberius Wrote: Slack does have animated emoticons. You can add custom ones too.

Oh cool.

I miss the Skype group calls and the CAH games in group call. It felt so much more social and fun.
(October 30, 2016 at 9:26 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Slack > Skype

You know those CAH group calls we used to have? We can't do that in Slack, right?

And Skype can even do video.

Those AF group calls we used to have... like CL set up and then we also used to have CAH group voice calls.

Not everyone wants to do voice calls or video but some people enjoy it and Slack doesn't have it.

Slack also lags for me and Skype lags a little sometimes but Slack lags for me all the time.

Skype is also an awesome social messaging app to talk to your friends and you can create any groups easily whenever you like, it's less restricted and has more options with less lag. And many people have it so it's intutive and familar.

Two better things about Slack:

1. People are restricted to their AF usernames so we know who everyone else is.

2. Darwinbot.

Other than that I can't think of any other advantages but Skype has the many I listed above.

So yes, I completely miss the AF Skype room's activity. I miss the group voice and video calls, I miss the group CAH games in voice call, and I miss the chat not lagging.

Am I the only one who misses the really fun, sociable and awesome group voice calls and group games of CAH in voice call we used to have together? Am I the only one who finds that Slack has a rather consistent lag and a delay to it whereas Skype only lags rarely by comparison?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you miss the 1990s BillieBobbie 16 1055 January 11, 2023 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Things You Miss Foxaèr 15 924 September 16, 2022 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Things you miss from your childhood. Brian37 23 1596 May 19, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Group Video Chats on Skype... round 2 Catholic_Lady 61 10849 May 17, 2018 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Its Good to Be Here Cinjin 44 2941 February 4, 2018 at 6:45 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Who Do You Miss From AF? Seraphina 108 12255 September 11, 2017 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Did you miss me? Foxaèr 19 2783 May 2, 2017 at 3:38 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Hey. Anybody wants to Skype and talk mindlessly about something? ErGingerbreadMandude 69 11787 February 24, 2017 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Joods
  Can You Celebrate Xmas Despite its Religious Connotations? Rhondazvous 43 4705 December 24, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Skype fucking around robvalue 0 663 December 5, 2016 at 4:41 am
Last Post: robvalue