Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Was George Carlin Influenced By Bill Hicks?
Was George Carlin Influenced By Bill Hicks?
I'm not sure what to think after watching the following vid:

[youtube]vJQ2w77Z4wA[/youtube]

WARNING contains some VERY STRONG LANGUAGE bla bla bla...18+

PS: Obviously because George Carlin was older than Bill Hicks, and because he did comedy before Bill Hicks...the video only claims the POSSIBILITY of George Carlin being influenced by Bill Hicks later on in George Carlin's Career

I am a fan of Bill Hicks and I have only recently been watching George Carlin and I think he's very funny and intelligent too...I have no idea if George Carlin was REALLY influenced in any way by Hicks... I just want to know what you guys think because I'm not really sure....

After watching the vid I would like those who have, if possible, to comment with thoughts on the matter....
RE: Was George Carlin Influenced By Bill Hicks?
Well, after watching that I'd say "influenced" was an understatement.

Not my idea of humour though, I've never found Hicks to be that funny (there are funny bits but it's padded out with loads of swearing (just to give it shock value as far as I can see)).
(September 30, 2008 at 3:50 am)allan175 Wrote: Well, after watching that I'd say "influenced" was an understatement.

Not my idea of humour though, I've never found Hicks to be that funny (there are funny bits but it's padded out with loads of swearing (just to give it shock value as far as I can see)).
Well I certainly think that I'd agree that Bill Hicks was often maybe a bit too vulgar and harsh; but I also think he certainly was a very intelligent man and he often spoke the truth, and I also think OFTEN his comedy was very intelligent too, and funny - as for the swearing I think it often adds more emotion to the words - it's the vulgarity that sometimes I think's maybe a bit unecessary.

That's what I think anyway. I think he was certainly a very honest guy.

I don't know much about Carlin... I only started watching him yesterday...so far I think he's intelligent too, and so far I think he's atleast pretty funny...I thought his take on the 10 commandments was BRILLIANT.
You have to watch it all!!

[youtube]lHB0cFZ5TBY[/youtube]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_hicks, Hicks both influenced and got influenced by George Carlin Smile
(September 30, 2008 at 9:34 am)Hypercube Wrote: You have to watch it all!!

[youtube]lHB0cFZ5TBY[/youtube]
Brilliant! A very unexpected ending!
I only learn't about George Carlin a few days ago....he's not as famous here as in America....

What's weird is that even though Bill Hicks was American he was and is more famous here in Britain than he was in America.

EDIT: I just watched the video... lol but what's this got to do with Hicks and Carlin? lol Smile
I am personally not familiar with Bill Hicks but have been a fan of George Carlin for years.In his defence I must say he is witty and was known as a word meister here in America.His skits on religion and god were hilarious and so true.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Much of Carlin's work surround similar themes which he has used long before anyone knew who Bill Hicks was. Carlin was influenced in the late 60's by Lenny Bruce and eventually it showed up in his own routines and life.

The Carlin clips are mostly from his later appearences and contains content that is not new at that time, much of it is stuff that he talked about many, many years before. After years of listening to Carlin I would be more inclined that Hicks was influenced by Carlin than the other way around. I remember the Rice Crispies and abortion jokes going back to his early 80's work.

This isn't to take away from Bill Hicks though, I think Hicks had some great stuff as well.

However, it could just be the old cliche' that great minds think alike.
(October 2, 2008 at 12:52 am)solidsquid Wrote: Much of Carlin's work surround similar themes which he has used long before anyone knew who Bill Hicks was. Carlin was influenced in the late 60's by Lenny Bruce and eventually it showed up in his own routines and life.

The Carlin clips are mostly from his later appearences and contains content that is not new at that time, much of it is stuff that he talked about many, many years before. After years of listening to Carlin I would be more inclined that Hicks was influenced by Carlin than the other way around. I remember the Rice Crispies and abortion jokes going back to his early 80's work.

This isn't to take away from Bill Hicks though, I think Hicks had some great stuff as well.

However, it could just be the old cliche' that great minds think alike.

Good post.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  POV on Bill Nye brewer 5 1083 April 19, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Bill Maher - Last Night Minimalist 16 1662 April 9, 2018 at 11:20 am
Last Post: henryp
  Bill Maher - Trump Christmas Carol Minimalist 1 398 November 18, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Oh, George. Where Are You When We Really Need You. Minimalist 0 345 June 17, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bill Nye Saves the World SteelCurtain 9 2892 May 16, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: mediocrates
  Bill Maher Goes After Apple...and Corporate Crooks... Minimalist 10 1748 September 24, 2016 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Bill Maher Sticks It Up The Trickle-Downers Asses Minimalist 3 692 July 2, 2016 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Bill Maher lights up a joint on television Aegon 5 1251 February 13, 2016 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Bill Maher Gives It To Phony Xtian Minimalist 15 3300 October 3, 2015 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Bill Maher Monologue 8-21-15 Minimalist 12 2512 August 23, 2015 at 11:02 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain