Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists grow functioning kidney
Scientists grow functioning kidney
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22123386

Quote:A kidney "grown" in the laboratory has been transplanted into animals where it started to produce urine, US scientists say.

Similar techniques to make simple body parts have already been used in patients, but the kidney is one of the most complicated organs made so far.

A study, in the journal Nature Medicine, showed the engineered kidneys were less effective than natural ones.

But regenerative medicine researchers said the field had huge promise.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Scientists grow functioning kidney
So science is advancing to the point where a new kidney can be grown for grandma while the theists just pray to their sky-daddy for a magical cure. If I had to bet I'd say science will attain their goal first.
That's brilliant!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So science is advancing to the point where a new kidney can be grown for grandma while the theists just pray to their sky-daddy for a magical cure. If I had to bet I'd say science will attain their goal first.

They'll just claim that god led the scientists to that discovery. Figure a week before some nutcase starts cut-n-pasting texts from the Koran to show how Allah predicted vat-grown kidneys in 995 A.D.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
God is a very malleable concept to these shits. They will try to hammer him in anywhere they can to salvage their silly beliefs.
(April 15, 2013 at 3:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: God is a very malleable concept to these shits. They will try to hammer him in anywhere they can to salvage their silly beliefs.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw2o30P65RhA1uIC8EItC...IDy0TOcqtg]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Re: RE: Scientists grow functioning kidney
(April 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So science is advancing to the point where a new kidney can be grown for grandma while the theists just pray to their sky-daddy for a magical cure. If I had to bet I'd say science will attain their goal first.

Yet so many theist will be lining up for those kidneys and then thanking god for it when they wake up from the operating table.

Scientist should work on an improve kidney that will filter a neurotoxin called jesus from what christian claim to be their blood. Then these christians, even if never to be useful, will at least be less harmful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our Wold may end, according to leading scientists. Jehanne 8 499 April 15, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  PERVS beware, scientists are coming for you pigs! Alex K 4 841 August 13, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Single celled creature with functioning eye. downbeatplumb 19 6136 December 14, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Scientists turn "straight" rats into "gay" rats. Foxaèr 20 5620 November 6, 2015 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Blowing Scientists Minds Blondie 34 6326 October 22, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Scientists discover warm blooded fish. downbeatplumb 4 1848 May 17, 2015 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  One step closer to proving abiogenesis? Scientists create "Near-Living Crystal" Ryantology 41 16362 January 31, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientists: 100 million worlds may have complex alien life in our galaxy pocaracas 14 5210 June 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Real Scientists....Doing Real Science Minimalist 1 1654 February 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Scientists Disarm AIDS Erinome 35 9015 February 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious