Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single celled creature with functioning eye.
Single celled creature with functioning eye.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2...inary-eye/
Quote:It is perhaps the most extraordinary eye in the living world – so extraordinary that no one believed the biologist who first described it more than a century ago.

Now it appears that the tiny owner of this eye uses it to catch invisible prey by detecting polarised light. This suggestion is also likely to be greeted with disbelief, for the eye belongs to a single-celled organism called Erythropsidinium.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Single celled creature with functioning eye.
Indeed, the gene which is responsible for producing the photo sensitive protein rhodopsin, the molecular basis of vision in all complex animals, appears to be very ancient, and first arose in a blue green algae. So the most primitive eye probably arose some time near when single called life first developed oxygen photosynthesis,around 2.2-2.5 billion years ago.

How the gene made the jump into ancestors of animals is unclear.
Sounds like this finally proves creationism, doesn't it?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

What an amazing discovery!

I fucking love science.

https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

They only have to graft a ridiculous wig on it and it can stand for election next year.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
But...but...but...what about Jay-sus?
(December 13, 2015 at 11:44 am)Minimalist Wrote: But...but...but...what about Jay-sus?

Je n’avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.
I'm not sure I like the idea of germs looking at my nads.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 13, 2015 at 11:50 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(December 13, 2015 at 11:44 am)Minimalist Wrote: But...but...but...what about Jay-sus?

(December 13, 2015 at 11:50 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:

+1 for citation of LaPlace, and in French, no less.

Before any of the rest of you go making fun of Frenchmen, please recall that I am half French (Cajun), and speak the language.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When your self is expressed in a single webpage. . . bennyboy 9 1092 April 15, 2019 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Tips on how to boost eye health purplepurpose 24 2538 March 3, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  The "Complexity of the Eye", for stupid creationists. Gawdzilla Sama 10 1866 December 8, 2017 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Missing Link and the Irreducible Complexity of the Eye Rhondazvous 73 22797 June 8, 2017 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Transition from single celled to multi cellular TheDeafPianoTuner 6 1912 December 20, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Bionic eye implant world first zebo-the-fat 12 3823 July 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: QuarkDriven
  Scientists grow functioning kidney downbeatplumb 7 3637 April 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Eye the Size of a Softball thesummerqueen 22 5940 October 15, 2012 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Light-powered bionic eye invented to help restore sight zebo-the-fat 7 4087 June 13, 2012 at 5:37 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Ten Sticks in the Eye for Creationist Morons in 2011 Minimalist 5 3168 January 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels