Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking: So Here's How It All Happened without God
Stephen Hawking: So Here's How It All Happened without God
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ll-2013-04

Quote:Even some of the more faithful might have wondered over the last few days whether there truly is a God.

Famed physicist Stephen Hawking would like to help. Let's imagine there isn't, seems to be his preference.

[...]

Instead, he thinks: "We are the product of quantum fluctuations in the very early universe."

I certainly feel like the product of quantum fluctuations on many days of the week, don't you?

As Hawking advances in years, God is clearly very central in his mind. As the L.A. Times observed, Hawking was asked what, besides his wheelchair, he would like to control.

"What I would really like to control is not machines, but people," he said. Which, some might observe, sounds God-like -- in a remarkably ungodly way.

Still, he believes contemporary religions are so suspicious of science that they actively discourage it.

Well, I thought it would be nice to share, although, the article is crap.
RE: Stephen Hawking: So Here's How It All Happened without God
I just got done reading a Brief History of Time, he does make reference to some deistic concept of a god quite a bit, but usually clarifies that in the natural universe the idea of a god is simply not necessary. Or rather, that the laws of the universe don't really leave much room for an 'omnipotent' god who 'created' the place.
RE: Stephen Hawking: So Here's How It All Happened without God
Quite so. If anything, he evokes the spirit of Spinoza's god, in the sense that it was employed by Einstein.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hawking and Krauss Interaktive 22 8337 June 15, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Inflation without a beginning: a null boundary proposal Jehanne 7 928 May 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Paul Rudd vs Stephen Hawking - Quantum Chess Heat 1 1218 January 28, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stephen Hawking on M-Theory Justtristo 16 10776 July 25, 2011 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Stephen Hawking: God was not needed to create the universe DiRNiS 29 10880 September 12, 2010 at 9:44 am
Last Post: solja247
  Time Travel a la Stephen Hawking Skeptisma 13 5609 August 9, 2010 at 11:53 am
Last Post: AnunZi