Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As US Drone Strikes Rise in Yemen, So Does Anger
As US Drone Strikes Rise in Yemen, So Does Anger
[Image: 628x471.jpg]

Quote:While the United States acknowledges its drone program in Yemen, it does not confirm individual strikes or release information on how many have been carried out. Three prominent groups have been compiling data on strikes, mainly from news reports, including the AP's, based on reports by Yemeni security officials: the London-based Bureau for Investigative Journalism and the U.S.-based Long War Journal and the New America Foundation.

Their estimates on the number of U.S. airstrikes vary — from 44 to 67 since 2002, the majority of them by drones. Compiling accurate data has been even more difficult because until recently, the Yemeni military took responsibility for many strikes apparently carried out by the United States.

All three groups mark a dramatic escalation last year. The Long War Journal, for example, recorded 42 strikes in 2012, up from 10 the year before. The Associated Press has reported on nine strikes so far in 2013.

By comparison, the U.S. has carried out more than 330 airstrikes in Pakistan since 2004, though there the rate has been falling — from a peak of 117 strikes in 2010 to 46 in 2012, according to the Long War Journal's count.

Determining civilian deaths is even more difficult. The Long War Journal says it has confirmed 35 civilians and 193 militants killed by American strikes in 2012, up from six civilians and 10 militants the year before. This year, 31 militants and no civilians have been killed, according to its count. AP has reported 33 militants killed this year, with no confirmed civilian deaths.

C.I.A. director John Brennan says the strikes are only used as a last resort against suspects believed to be plotting against America.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wire...r-19093818
RE: As US Drone Strikes Rise in Yemen, So Does Anger
War is not fair.

Of course, we are not at war with Yemen which complicates the issue.
The country needs to police up their citizens.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
And if they don't we claim the right to have a geek in a chair 8,000 miles away fire missiles into a house killing whoever may be in there?

I do understand their point.

As Robert E. Lee said while surveying the carnage of the Union disaster at Fredricksburg.

It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it.

We are finding new ways to make it less terrible so we have no incentive to stop it.
Their local government has given consent for these types of attacks. They do not have the power to police their occupants. This puts less personnel in danger. The men attacked are usually a target by their own local government.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
So now we are hit men for barbarians?
Yes, we are. All in the purpose to stabilize the area. So, is most western countries.

We get the attention, because we are the big players, but other countries do the same as us. I am not justifying it. I am explaining leadership thought process.
(May 3, 2013 at 10:54 pm)Dragonetti Wrote: Yes, we are. All in the purpose to stabilize the area. So, is most western countries.

We get the attention, because we are the big players, but other countries do the same as us. I am not justifying it. I am explaining leadership thought process.

what other countries are drone bombing yemen???
(May 4, 2013 at 12:26 am)cratehorus Wrote:
(May 3, 2013 at 10:54 pm)Dragonetti Wrote: Yes, we are. All in the purpose to stabilize the area. So, is most western countries.

what other countries are drone bombing yemen???

Hmmmm.... I am trying to answer this, but I cannot due to giving out info I do not want too.
(May 4, 2013 at 12:32 am)Dragonetti Wrote:
(May 4, 2013 at 12:26 am)cratehorus Wrote: what other countries are drone bombing yemen???

Hmmmm.... I am trying to answer this, but I cannot due to giving out info I do not want too.

aww c'mon pleeaaaasssse

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Far Right on the Rise Foxaèr 2 375 September 14, 2022 at 6:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
Wink Please rise for our new national anthem NuclearEnergy 0 595 June 21, 2017 at 4:40 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  The Law of Unintended Consequences Strikes Again Minimalist 0 958 March 30, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Empire Strikes Back Minimalist 2 731 August 19, 2016 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Captain Obvious Strikes Again Minimalist 4 876 June 7, 2016 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Are Drone Strikes less Moral? CapnAwesome 34 5276 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Discussion regarding the rise of far right parties in Europe Dystopia 3 1191 January 2, 2015 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Capt. James Fanell warns about the rise of China mralstoner 18 3972 December 15, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Rise of "Anti-zionism" bladevalant546 44 9620 July 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: JesusHMuhammad
  President Obama, Show us the drone memos Heywood 33 5967 June 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti