Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spooky Action at a Distance and Bell's Theorem Revisited
Spooky Action at a Distance and Bell's Theorem Revisited
http://soi.blogspot.ca/2013/05/spooky-ac...bells.html

Discuss.
RE: Spooky Action at a Distance and Bell's Theorem Revisited

[Image: no.png]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I cannot discuss this article, because my knowledge about the subject is inadequate.
"at a distance".... of a few nano-meters... -.-'
(May 6, 2013 at 10:16 am)pocaracas Wrote: "at a distance".... of a few nano-meters... -.-'

We wouldn't be able to verify that as the uncertainty is governed by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle at sub-atomic scale.

In Bell's theorem types of experiment, people are claiming that even if the particles travel to the end of the galaxy, they will exert an influence instantaneously on each other, hence spooky action at a distance.
  • Quote:
    • So if A is false, we cannot conclude that B is false. Therefore we don't have any conclusive proof of non-locality.
Yep, correct.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(May 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm)Luminox Wrote: I cannot discuss this article, because my knowledge about the subject is inadequate.

That's never stopped me.

Isn't ill informed opinion the whole reason for the internet.Wink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Do you think that information can travel faster-than-light?

This seems to be of the same order of problem as that, methinks.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
It depends on your definition of "information", Sal.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(May 14, 2013 at 5:50 am)Aractus Wrote: It depends on your definition of "information", Sal.

A physics teacher explained to me a pole thought experiment: Let's say you have a 3*10^8 meter long pole attached to pushing a ball off a similarly long table.

The physics teacher said that the information here (of the pole pushing the ball off the table) would be instantaneous, i.e. as soon as you push on the other end of the pole, the resulting movement of the entire pole would result in pushing the ball off the table.

I argued, in response, due to non-locality of time and space that it would take ~1 second for the contraction of the pole (the atoms in the pole contracting and pushing each other) to make the action possible; think of it like a wave of contraction moving down the pole, together with time being non-local.

We didn't really get past this impasse - I wonder if a similar experiment has been done testing something similar out (obviously doesn't have to be on the order of ~1 second) but what about GPS satellites? don't they account for this all the time?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3747 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Hubble breaks cosmic distance record Kosh 5 1686 March 22, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Kosh
  Questions about Time, Distance, and Relativity Mudhammam 25 5294 November 11, 2014 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Spooky Action at a Distance logicalreason 2 707 August 11, 2014 at 5:44 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Comet Lovejoy caught in action by ISS astronauts orogenicman 0 1160 December 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Spooky action at a distance popeyespappy 4 2155 December 12, 2011 at 2:59 am
Last Post: houseofcantor