Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi anyone?
Raspberry Pi anyone?

[Image: RaspiModelB-1024x902.jpg]

Link:

I'm thinking of buying a 30-40" flat screen TV off eBay, hanging it on my wall, and using it to display photos of fine art in some sort of slide show. I've got a WDTV Live Plus which is becoming less necessary for entertainment video and might be rededicated, as well as several old computers that could do the same. However I've noticed things like the little $20-40 android media appliance/computers and the Raspberry Pi, and while I don't know a lot about them, they seem like they would be a good fit for such applications. (Plus I just love playing with geeky things.)

Anybody know more about the Raspberry Pi or have any experiences they'd like to share about how they or someone they know has used these devices?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Raspberry Pi anyone?
I haven't used one, yet, though I was considering using one as a media server client. I still might.

It's my understanding that they can handle HD video, I see no reason that one wouldn't do well in your application.
Why would you buy a TV off ebay...?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Why don't you buy a smart-TV, which does all you want out of the box?
It is a bit more expensive, but it saves you a lot of power cables, at least...
I have one. I love it. I am going to buy a few more and do this:

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(May 7, 2013 at 4:03 am)Aractus Wrote: Why would you buy a TV off ebay...?

Because it's much cheaper to buy a used TV off eBay than a new TV or monitor.

There's a 40" plasma with wall mount that I could have for the Buy-it-now price of $50 right now. I couldn't come anywhere close to that price by buying new or factory refurbished.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
WiFi Pineapples are better. :-)
Quote:Since 2008 the WiFi Pineapple has been a favorite among penetration testers and security enthusiasts. With a talented community of developers this ...

Penetration testers tee hee.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 7, 2013 at 5:25 am)pocaracas Wrote: Why don't you buy a smart-TV, which does all you want out of the box?
It is a bit more expensive, but it saves you a lot of power cables, at least...

Because when you buy a smart TV you're at the mercy of the manufacturer as to what features they've deemed to implement, and for how long you get updates and such. Oh, and they can shut off any feature any time they want.

No thanks.
(May 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
Quote:Since 2008 the WiFi Pineapple has been a favorite among penetration testers and security enthusiasts. With a talented community of developers this ...

Penetration testers tee hee.
Laughing at my job title are you? Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orange Pi vs Raspberry Pi dyresand 2 974 March 1, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Kodi on Raspberry Pi 3 popeyespappy 0 715 May 6, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  New Raspberry Pi released zebo-the-fat 7 1845 February 2, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Jackalope