Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donation Statistics
Donation Statistics
A few people mentioned that we should display some kind of counter or progress bar to encourage donations. When we used to pay for our server annually, a progress bar for a few months of a "donation drive" was a great success, but these days we pay monthly since it's easier to do. Having a progress bar appear constantly would get annoying, so instead I've opted for a simple counter in bold.

It appears in the standard donation text at the top of each page and will record the total donations for the calendar year. As of this post, this year (since January) we've raised $248.37 to pay for server costs. Make no mistake; that's a good number and we're thankful for each donation, but anyone who can do some simple math will realize that only two months of hosting are funded from that amount.

So, where does the rest come from? Well, quite simply, out of my own earnings. Now, I don't particularly mind this; I earn enough to pay for the server without donations, and I also use the server for hosting other things (my blog, etc.), however it's still a lot of money.

If you feel the need to help out in any way, please consider donating money to the forums. Whatever the amount, you qualify for membership of one of the donation groups (Bronze, Silver, and Gold), which lasts a year. As noted on the donation page, if you already have a PayPal account, PM me and you can send money to my account directly (rather than donating, which takes a fee).

Thanks!

- Tiberius
RE: Donation Statistics
How much for bronze, silver, gold? Any other perks?
(May 14, 2013 at 11:20 am)John V Wrote: How much for bronze, silver, gold? Any other perks?
Please see this thread: http://atheistforums.org/thread-16713.html
(May 14, 2013 at 11:26 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 14, 2013 at 11:20 am)John V Wrote: How much for bronze, silver, gold? Any other perks?
Please see this thread: http://atheistforums.org/thread-16713.html
OK, first post makes sense. Is there anything important in the following 7 pages, like amount for a color?
(May 14, 2013 at 11:33 am)John V Wrote:
(May 14, 2013 at 11:26 am)Tiberius Wrote: Please see this thread: http://atheistforums.org/thread-16713.html
OK, first post makes sense. Is there anything important in the following 7 pages, like amount for a color?

No, everything that follows is discussion.
If people can think of specific perks they want, we can try to implement them. The individual colour thing is a bit hard to do with MyBB's system.
I just tossed in ten pounds, looks like it went through okay on my end. Avoided PayPal.
(May 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I just tossed in ten pounds, looks like it went through okay on my end. Avoided PayPal.
Erm, how? Everything has to go through PayPal unless you know my bank account details. Your donation was subject to the fee just like all donations were (according to my logs anyway).
(May 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I just tossed in ten pounds, looks like it went through okay on my end. Avoided PayPal.
Erm, how? Everything has to go through PayPal unless you know my bank account details. Your donation was subject to the fee just like all donations were (according to my logs anyway).

Damn it! I used my debit card instead of using PayPal funds, but I guess since I have an account it went through them anyway. Sorry, I use PayPal so rarely I'm not very savvy about it.
It doesn't matter if you use a debit card or not, it's the use of the PayPal donation system that means a fee is applied. If you are sending money directly (i.e. not a donation) to someone you know, less of a fee is applied (and you can choose to pay this yourself). So next time, just PM me and I'll give you the address to use in PayPal. :-)

Oh, and let me know if you want the badge / group promotion, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donation Changes Tiberius 84 9376 May 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  New Donation Groups Tiberius 62 16379 January 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Donation Updates Tiberius 14 6526 March 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Donation Updates Tiberius 5 4710 January 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Donation Drive 2011!!! Tiberius 20 14419 April 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah