Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donation Updates
Donation Updates
I've recently found out how to add a subscription system to PayPal, so those who wish to make monthly donations can now do so automatically.

HOWEVER, I have also discovered that PayPal takes an annoying fee for this, and other standard donations. Unfortunately, there is no way to get around this without sacrificing our ability to have donation / subscription buttons, unless we become a charity.

The fee doesn't really matter for large donations (for instance, they might take $1 off a $20 donation), but for small donations it appears to be worse, with a donation of $1 ending up as $0.66 after fees were deducted.

So, if you are planning on donating in small amounts and you have a PayPal account, please log into it and send me the money directly. This apparently causes no fees (though I have yet to confirm this). You will need my PayPal email address; please contact me via PM for it as I will not publish it here for the spambots to see. Alternatively, my email can be found in a link on this page: http://adrianhayter.com/contact.php

This of course means that the subscription service probably isn't a very good method if you only intend to donate a small amount a month. It would be better to either (a) save and donate the amount as a lump sum, or (b) set a reminder on your phone and send the payment manually through PayPal.

The donation / subscription buttons will remain up for people who do not have PayPal accounts (since they can use Credit Cards, etc), but if you do have a PayPal account, please use it instead and send me the donation directly. It all goes to the same account.
RE: Donation Updates
34% to paypal... Nice margin
Lump sum looks the best option
Seems that if every one donated $50 a year this forum would be set ? Huh
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
When I get a job I'll donate regularly. So when the summer comes count on my monies.
(March 29, 2012 at 10:09 am)Napoleon Wrote: When I get a job I'll donate regularly. So when the summer comes count on my monies.

Blush I didn't think you meant the season when I first read that... Blush
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 29, 2012 at 10:12 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Blush I didn't think you meant the season when I first read that... Blush
ROFLOL
LOL. Damn your dirty mind!
Maybe a donor medal would be an incentive? I know a lot of people don't care for recognition, but a lot of other people do. Supporting this site is something of which to be proud.
There must be an angle you can put to make this a charity.

Heres a thought.

Start the church of atheism and apply for charity status.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Maybe a donor medal would be an incentive? I know a lot of people don't care for recognition, but a lot of other people do. Supporting this site is something of which to be proud.

People who have donated get a different color name. I don't disagree with a medal, but we do recognize those who donate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Rule Updates Tiberius 124 14676 October 29, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Donation Changes Tiberius 84 9408 May 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Security Updates Tiberius 9 3385 July 13, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Donation Statistics Tiberius 17 5690 May 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  New Donation Groups Tiberius 62 16534 January 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates Tiberius 15 7371 October 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  SSL Updates Tiberius 1 1610 August 15, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Domain Name Updates Tiberius 4 2064 March 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Important Updates Tiberius 28 30643 January 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Donation Updates Tiberius 5 4722 January 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy