Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the true basis of moral subjectivism?
the true basis of moral subjectivism?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbvK8SIgMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvHV9llxJW0

As an initial point, I want to say that I don't believe moraliy exists. Nothing is "forbidden" and anything goes in this universe without restraint.

That said, most subjectivists cite arguments like those in the videos above.

Arguments such as "who give a shit what happens? lol.." or "meh, people do as they please" are the stock of subjectivists, yet they profess not to adhere to sociopathic thinking or action (and showing indifference to actions no matter their effects is by definition sociopathy).

I get the strong suspicion (I'm quite expert at reading people's motives) that the true base of subjectivism is not to critique the fallacy or genuine non-existence of moral absolutes, but to expose or highlight sociopathic thinking.

Am I the only person who thinks this? lol..
RE: the true basis of moral subjectivism?
"Who give a shit what happens? and "meh, people do as they please" are the stock of those who reject morality, not those who acknowledge the subjective nature of morality.

The only difference between the two sides of this argument is that one side wants to think that their morals come from someone more powerful than themselves, so that they can feel that their moral code is more legitimate than everyone else's. The idea of objective morality is horseshit, naturally, but that doesn't mean morality isn't a real thing, it just means that its legitimacy relies on human consensus.
(May 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm)Ryantology Wrote: "Who give a shit what happens? and "meh, people do as they please" are the stock of those who reject morality, not those who acknowledge the subjective nature of morality.

Really? Well the points you cite are standard arguments made by subjectivists.
Quote:The only difference between the two sides of this argument is that one side wants to think that their morals come from someone more powerful than themselves, so that they can feel that their moral code is more legitimate than everyone else's. The idea of objective morality is horseshit, naturally, but that doesn't mean morality isn't a real thing, it just means that its legitimacy relies on human consensus.

Or rationalisation of sociopathy? got it.
(May 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm)dazzn Wrote: Really? Well the points you cite are standard arguments made by subjectivists.

It's never been my standard argument. Sounds like you've strawed you a man, there.

Quote:Or rationalisation of sociopathy? got it.

Correction: definitely strawed you a man.
(May 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm)Ryantology Wrote: The idea of objective morality is horseshit, naturally, but that doesn't mean morality isn't a real thing, it just means that its legitimacy relies on human consensus.

On individual human perception, I think you mean. What's a legitimate moral system if they are not all legitimate? Thinking (and yeah, OP is horseshit Wink )
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 27, 2013 at 1:48 am)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote:
(May 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm)Ryantology Wrote: The idea of objective morality is horseshit, naturally, but that doesn't mean morality isn't a real thing, it just means that its legitimacy relies on human consensus.

On individual human perception, I think you mean. What's a legitimate moral system if they are not all legitimate? Thinking (and yeah, OP is horseshit Wink )

lol..

i'm simply saying the basis of subjectivism is sociopathy. why is this so "bad" to cite? knowing basic human motivations, i think this is evident.

(May 26, 2013 at 6:43 pm)Ryantology Wrote:
(May 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm)dazzn Wrote: Really? Well the points you cite are standard arguments made by subjectivists.

It's never been my standard argument. Sounds like you've strawed you a man, there.

Quote:Or rationalisation of sociopathy? got it.

Correction: definitely strawed you a man.

I don't believe in morals' existence. but this doesn't make me a sociopath. i don't see how it can. kindly expound as to how.
(May 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm)dazzn Wrote: As an initial point, I want to say that I don't believe moraliy exists. Nothing is "forbidden" and anything goes in this universe without restraint.
I'm not sure about the universe you inhabit, but around here is far away from a "universe without restraint". I think you can look at everything and ultimately see that it all boils down to causality, so basically everything is constrained in the ultimate way (*) Of course there is always the paradox that I really have the sense of a free will... maybe that's a way to think about morality and mental processes in general, it's the struggle between forces and the strongest will express itself in the decision I take and my actions. Morality then would be the struggle between forces representing lower impulses and forces representing higher values, e.g. the overall well-being of me individually versus what my rationality tells me is the well-being of the majority.

(*) although someone with an understanding of quantum mechanics may correct me here. My laymans understanding is that it doesn't break causality itself but merely whether we can predict causality or not.

(May 27, 2013 at 10:26 am)dazzn Wrote: I don't believe in morals' existence. but this doesn't make me a sociopath. i don't see how it can. kindly expound as to how.
What keeps you from raping and pillaging? I see two options:

(a) If it is a sense that this is wrong, then you have what I would call morals already.

(b) If it is because you fear the law then: Why is the law there? Because of the moral sense of the majority of citizens. So there's morality.

In both scenarios I think you might have to acknowledge that such as thing as morality does exist even if only in our heads.
"Men see clearly enough the barbarity of all ages — except their own!" — Ernest Crosby.
Ooh, I remember now: I had a beautifully mocking response all gorgeous and prepared for you, and then I closed the computer without sending it. Oops.

Doesn't matter, it's self-evident, so Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 8, 1970 at 8:37 am)dazzn Wrote: I don't believe in morals' existence. but this doesn't make me a sociopath. i don't see how it can. kindly expound as to how.
I never implied that it made you a sociopath. I just think your understanding of morality is that it is strictly binary and I don't agree that it is.
(May 28, 2013 at 5:10 am)littleendian Wrote:
(May 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm)dazzn Wrote: As an initial point, I want to say that I don't believe moraliy exists. Nothing is "forbidden" and anything goes in this universe without restraint.
I'm not sure about the universe you inhabit, but around here is far away from a "universe without restraint". I think you can look at everything and ultimately see that it all boils down to causality, so basically everything is constrained in the ultimate way (*) Of course there is always the paradox that I really have the sense of a free will... maybe that's a way to think about morality and mental processes in general, it's the struggle between forces and the strongest will express itself in the decision I take and my actions. Morality then would be the struggle between forces representing lower impulses and forces representing higher values, e.g. the overall well-being of me individually versus what my rationality tells me is the well-being of the majority.

(*) although someone with an understanding of quantum mechanics may correct me here. My laymans understanding is that it doesn't break causality itself but merely whether we can predict causality or not.

(May 27, 2013 at 10:26 am)dazzn Wrote: I don't believe in morals' existence. but this doesn't make me a sociopath. i don't see how it can. kindly expound as to how.
What keeps you from raping and pillaging? I see two options:

(a) If it is a sense that this is wrong, then you have what I would call morals already.

(b) If it is because you fear the law then: Why is the law there? Because of the moral sense of the majority of citizens. So there's morality.

In both scenarios I think you might have to acknowledge that such as thing as morality does exist even if only in our heads.

who cares about the "majority"? why do their needs need accommodation?

as for your questions, conscience. i don't condone harm or ill will towards any group of persons.

(May 28, 2013 at 5:31 am)Ryantology Wrote:
(June 8, 1970 at 8:37 am)dazzn Wrote: I don't believe in morals' existence. but this doesn't make me a sociopath. i don't see how it can. kindly expound as to how.
I never implied that it made you a sociopath. I just think your understanding of morality is that it is strictly binary and I don't agree that it is.

binary? 1s and 0s aside, i said i believe the world is a free for all. anything goes, hence morality is redundant.

(May 28, 2013 at 5:14 am)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: Ooh, I remember now: I had a beautifully mocking response all gorgeous and prepared for you, and then I closed the computer without sending it. Oops.

Doesn't matter, it's self-evident, so Sleepy

to me this read:

"my ego demands attention!!" the nature of youth is ever constant lol...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Spiritual Basis of The Republican Ideology Leonardo17 38 1994 September 30, 2023 at 10:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 12951 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6685 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6689 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3888 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3131 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3697 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4646 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5390 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3642 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal