Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion, A Curable Illness
Leading neuroscientist: Fundamentalism may be a ‘mental illness’ that can be ‘cured’
Quote:A leading neurologist at the University of Oxford said this week that recent developments meant that science may one day be able to identify religious fundamentalism as a “mental illness” and a cure it.

During a talk at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales on Wednesday, Kathleen Taylor was asked what positive developments she anticipated in neuroscience in the next 60 years.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/30/leading-neuroscientist-religious-fundamentalism-may-be-a-mental-illness-that-can-be-cured
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Leading neuroscientist: Fundamentalism may be a ‘mental illness’ that can be ‘cured’
Yeah, I'm sure people like her tried to cure homosexuality as well....and failed miserably.
RE: Leading neuroscientist: Fundamentalism may be a ‘mental illness’ that can be ‘cured’
?!?!

Bullshit.

Reagan called communism a mental illness, and countless people certainly also declared various movements to be mental illnesses.
It is simply a radicalisation of an individual or a group with potentialy harmfull consequences for the rest of society.
But simply calling it an illness would first off infringe the rights of such individuals or groups and also lift the burden of taking responsiblity for their actions from ther shoulders.
I'm dubious if fundamentalism is a mental illness. And how would you "cure" someone who doesn't think they have a mental illness in the first place? Why would they ever seek treatment? You can't help people who don't want it.
I read that. And fundamentalism not a mental illness.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(May 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
Quote:A leading neurologist at the University of Oxford said this week that recent developments meant that science may one day be able to identify religious fundamentalism as a “mental illness” and a cure it.

During a talk at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales on Wednesday, Kathleen Taylor was asked what positive developments she anticipated in neuroscience in the next 60 years.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/30/leading-neuroscientist-religious-fundamentalism-may-be-a-mental-illness-that-can-be-cured

lmao, I said that since 87. and it is independent of belief.
Quote:I'm dubious if fundamentalism is a mental illness.

More of a personality flaw.
Fundamentalism might be indicative of some forms of mental illness, but is probably not one itself.
Fundamentalism itself isn't a mental illness - all religious belief is. (How can fervently believing in the non-existent be completely sane?)

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mental Illness Thread Saxmoof 55 7235 May 29, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  If physical illness was treated like mental illness. bladevalant546 7 1942 December 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Mental Illness and the Psych Ward Psykhronic 27 5675 January 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Psykhronic