Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did life start? No creationists please
How did life start? No creationists please
How do you think life on earth started? What do you believe? No explanations involving deities please. Do you believe in Abiogenesis or something else? e.g. My grandfather believes we were created by an advanced race of aliens.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
RE: How did life start? No creationists please
(June 16, 2013 at 10:51 am)Rationalman Wrote: My grandfather believes we were created by an advanced race of aliens.

How did they start?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(June 16, 2013 at 11:30 am)popeyespappy Wrote: How did they start?

Exactly the question I asked him
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Lately it seems that there have been breakthroughs along this line of investigation.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...144326.htm

Quote:Lawrence Livermore scientist Nir Goldman and University of Ontario Institute of Technology colleague Isaac Tamblyn (a former LLNL postdoc) found that icy comets that crashed into Earth millions of years ago could have produced life building organic compounds, including the building blocks of proteins and nucleobases pairs of DNA and RNA.

Comets contain a variety of simple molecules, such as water, ammonia, methanol and carbon dioxide, and an impact event with a planetary surface would provide an abundant supply of energy to drive chemical reactions.

Again, the amount of energy released in an impact is mind-blowing.

Of course this all drives the creatards up a wall but then, what doesn't?
(June 16, 2013 at 11:30 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(June 16, 2013 at 10:51 am)Rationalman Wrote: My grandfather believes we were created by an advanced race of aliens.

How did they start?

[Image: ancient-aliens-guy.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(June 16, 2013 at 11:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: Lately it seems that there have been breakthroughs along this line of investigation.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...144326.htm

Quote:Lawrence Livermore scientist Nir Goldman and University of Ontario Institute of Technology colleague Isaac Tamblyn (a former LLNL postdoc) found that icy comets that crashed into Earth millions of years ago could have produced life building organic compounds, including the building blocks of proteins and nucleobases pairs of DNA and RNA.

Comets contain a variety of simple molecules, such as water, ammonia, methanol and carbon dioxide, and an impact event with a planetary surface would provide an abundant supply of energy to drive chemical reactions.

Again, the amount of energy released in an impact is mind-blowing.

Of course this all drives the creatards up a wall but then, what doesn't?

Do we need an external energy source? It seems that a young earth would be an extremely energetic one. Even now under the deeps of the ocean there is constant seismic and volcanic upheaval.

Once the seas had formed it would probably be only a matter of time before the right chemical reaction took place to produce an RNA chain capable of replicating.

As the earth seems to have been about 500 million years old before life started that, I would guess, is all the time needed.

An equally interesting question, of course, is why, about 3.5 billion years later multi-cellular life started in the Cambrian explosion.

Actually that is 2 questions - why did it take 3.5 billion years to happen and what caused it?
I don't know. The Ulrey-Miller experiments in the early 50's fired electricity through what they thought was a prebiotic atmosphere and came up with amino acids and stuff.

But a comet/meteor impact would provide an energy boost on steroids compared to lightning.
We still do not know. We know where many of the building blocks came from, but we don't know with any real certainty the mechanisms that produced the first life. Even well-acclaimed theories have recently been seen as invalid.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
I prefer "I don't know" over "I believe..." in this situation.
(June 16, 2013 at 11:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: Of course this all drives the creatards up a wall but then, what doesn't?

Fairy tales. :p
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2840 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3445 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1376 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  When and where did atheism first start ? hindu 99 8912 July 16, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: comet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2014 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3042 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24018 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2833 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2454 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9670 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet