Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
So what's everyone's opinion on the recent scandal that Paula Deen is embroiled in?
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
RE: Paula Deen
Okay......so it appears to me that this is the situation...

"Hey Paula, have you ever said the N-word before?"

"Yeah, but it was a long time ago."

Show cancelled!

WTF?
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
I had to google her name to know what was up. Meh, another racial scandal.

News @ 11
I wasn't following this (don't really care) but did a Google search and came up with this:

Quote:In explosive revelations unveiled last Wednesday, the celebrity chef admitted in a recorded deposition last month to telling racist jokes, using the N-word, and planning a slavery-themed wedding. The shocking admissions are part of a $1.2 million lawsuit brought by Lisa Jackson, the former manager of a Savannah, Georgia, restaurant run by Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers. Jackson alleges in the suit that Deen used the N-word at the restaurant and that Hiers sexually harassed her.

I can see where the network would decide not to renew her contract.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 24, 2013 at 10:07 am)Tonus Wrote: I can see where the network would decide not to renew her contract.

Do you think she's being treated fairly?
The network is a private business and they are free to make/renew the contracts they want and to protect their business as they see fit, so it is fair IMHO.
(June 24, 2013 at 10:18 am)LastPoet Wrote: The network is a private business and they are free to make/renew the contracts they want and to protect their business as they see fit, so it is fair IMHO.

Well of course. They aren't doing anything illegal.

If they want to lose a million customers or so, go right ahead and crucify her.

That's their right.

From a PR viewpoint, they just screwed themselves.
(June 24, 2013 at 10:07 am)Tonus Wrote: I wasn't following this (don't really care) but did a Google search and came up with this:

Quote:In explosive revelations unveiled last Wednesday, the celebrity chef admitted in a recorded deposition last month to telling racist jokes, using the N-word, and planning a slavery-themed wedding. The shocking admissions are part of a $1.2 million lawsuit brought by Lisa Jackson, the former manager of a Savannah, Georgia, restaurant run by Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers. Jackson alleges in the suit that Deen used the N-word at the restaurant and that Hiers sexually harassed her.

I can see where the network would decide not to renew her contract.

Well that's an entirely different story, although none of the other places seemed to be talking about this.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(June 24, 2013 at 10:23 am)Rahul Wrote: Well of course. They aren't doing anything illegal.

If they want to lose a million customers or so, go right ahead and crucify her.

That's their right.

From a PR viewpoint, they just screwed themselves.

If you say so. I don't watch food network and I didn't know who she was until this thread came up. The question was about fairness, not if it was good for business Tongue
I am not a fan, so it would not bother me if she was taken off the air.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  paula deen Raven 11 2864 June 28, 2013 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Rahul