Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church update:children's church
Church update:children's church
I hope you don't mind all these posts it's just I have not many people to talk to about it....and I have lots to share

Same church different event. My friends church had a children's service in another room,I went with because I figured time would go by faster.
some highlights:

1. They talked about Samuel and his birth and his mother Hannah praying for a child
2.they talked about how God talked to Samuel and how it's different then how God talks to us today. the woman leading the group said "The world calls it your conscience but it's really the voice of God..
She went on to how you can hear the voice of God,by reading your Bible and praying.
Sometimes I wonder where the voice of God is in the most devastating circumstances. And what about sociopaths? or people who seem to have no conscience is that just Satan?

3. One of the kids said(when asked about a story they heard in the bible) they said "Like the land of the lost?" and she said no this is real,all the stuff that happened in the Bible was real.

anyway this just was in my head today
just seeing the kids and being taught about the God above. and these different things. they have thing little bracelets that say P.U.S.H(pray until something happens)
comments? questions? did this even make sense?
RE: Church update:children's church
Quote:One of the kids said(when asked about a story they heard in the bible) they said "Like the land of the lost?" and she said no this is real,all the stuff that happened in the Bible was real.

The kid is smarter than the teacher. He'll go far unless he starts listening to them.
(June 25, 2013 at 2:52 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:One of the kids said(when asked about a story they heard in the bible) they said "Like the land of the lost?" and she said no this is real,all the stuff that happened in the Bible was real.

The kid is smarter than the teacher. He'll go far unless he starts listening to them.

I agree!
What age group were they. I've taught older children, actually youth. They IMO would be easier to teach than small children, I know my wife found it to be harder. Their little minds work in such a wonderful yet difficult way, one must go easy on how much they can absorb at one time.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
The type of questions you had, were similar to the ones I asked that got me kicked out of Sunday School.
Pray until something happens?? What a crock!
(June 25, 2013 at 2:38 am)k2490 Wrote: I hope you don't mind all these posts it's just I have not many people to talk to about it....and I have lots to share

Same church different event. My friends church had a children's service in another room,I went with because I figured time would go by faster.
some highlights:

1. They talked about Samuel and his birth and his mother Hannah praying for a child
2.they talked about how God talked to Samuel and how it's different then how God talks to us today. the woman leading the group said "The world calls it your conscience but it's really the voice of God..
She went on to how you can hear the voice of God,by reading your Bible and praying.
Sometimes I wonder where the voice of God is in the most devastating circumstances. And what about sociopaths? or people who seem to have no conscience is that just Satan?

3. One of the kids said(when asked about a story they heard in the bible) they said "Like the land of the lost?" and she said no this is real,all the stuff that happened in the Bible was real.

just seeing the kids and being taught about the God above. and these different things. they have thing little bracelets that say P.U.S.H(pray until something happens)

According to christian theology, their god is all knowing and all powerful. I think prayer is futile, since in essence, people are trying to gain favor or perhaps change fate. According to most sheep I have talked to, they say that all is predetermined, so prayer is futile. Unless of course, you pray for what is supposedly determined to happen.

Then again, those children have not probably entered cancer wards for children and witnessed all the unanswered prayers for those children dying. Nor have those children been exposed to famine or extreme suffering and all the unanswered prayers there. Those bracelets are useless in the above mentioned places. But I guess ignorance is bliss.
(June 25, 2013 at 2:38 am)k2490 Wrote: I hope you don't mind all these posts it's just I have not many people to talk to about it....and I have lots to share

some highlights:

Sad is about all you can say. Most of our species history involves humans indoctrinating their youth into a cultural superstition because it is easier to sell a comforting lie than to teach a kid to think for themselves. I wouldn't limit this criticism to Christianity, but more to our species defaulting to willful ignorance.

Evolution isn't about getting facts right, all that is required is to make a baby. The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centered around the false belief that the sun was a thinking deity.

Science as method has only been widely on the map for a short period of time. It is going to take a long time to undue the superstitious memes humans pass down to the youth of the planet. The good part is the more media spreads and technology improves the less dependent people are on superstition.
(June 25, 2013 at 3:23 am)Godschild Wrote: What age group were they. I've taught older children, actually youth. They IMO would be easier to teach than small children, I know my wife found it to be harder. Their little minds work in such a wonderful yet difficult way, one must go easy on how much they can absorb at one time.

Yeah - G-C. There is a limit to how much bullshit you can cram into their little ears. Must be terribly frustrating for you.
(June 25, 2013 at 6:45 am)festive1 Wrote: The type of questions you had, were similar to the ones I asked that got me kicked out of Sunday School.

No shit. Something always happens, either good or bad, but eventually the ultimate bad will happen to us all, between life and death everyone has a range of both good and bad happen to them, some more or less than others.

I especially hate it in sports and entertainment and wealth when people thank a god. Really? With all the bad shit this selective deadbeat doesn't stop, like childhood death from disease and famine and war worldwide, you'd think if such an all powerful god existed, it would be better PR for this deity to reduce it or never have it happen in the first place. But who cares right, he certainly should care more about your personal success than say, some starving kid.

It never occurs to a believer that a god does not exist, and the only way we can reduce human suffering is to STUDY the reasons why conditions are bad for some people and work to reduce it rather than simply cross your fingers(pray to the non existent).
(June 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 25, 2013 at 6:45 am)festive1 Wrote: The type of questions you had, were similar to the ones I asked that got me kicked out of Sunday School.

No shit. Something always happens, either good or bad, but eventually the ultimate bad will happen to us all, between life and death everyone has a range of both good and bad happen to them, some more or less than others.

I especially hate it in sports and entertainment and wealth when people thank a god. Really? With all the bad shit this selective deadbeat doesn't stop, like childhood death from disease and famine and war worldwide, you'd think if such an all powerful god existed, it would be better PR for this deity to reduce it or never have it happen in the first place. But who cares right, he certainly should care more about your personal success than say, some starving kid.

It never occurs to a believer that a god does not exist, and the only way we can reduce human suffering is to STUDY the reasons why conditions are bad for some people and work to reduce it rather than simply cross your fingers(pray to the non existent).

my thoughts exactly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1229 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1134 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 1981 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9133 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2551 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 27278 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Protection for Children The Valkyrie 0 835 August 24, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3447 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4151 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Teach children about Jesus at a young age, Foxaèr 171 29175 March 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear