Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama's Climate Change Speech
President Obama's Climate Change Speech
I have yet to read the transcript, but had to immediately share a quote as reported by The Hill:

Quote:"We don't have time for a meeting of the flat-Earth society," Obama said. "Sticking your head in the sand might make you feel safer, but it's not going to protect you from the coming storm."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...z2XFsQ5mgH

Here's a link to the speech transcript:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-25...peech.html
RE: President Obama's Climate Change Speech
No surprise. For a group that has its head and its ass firmly parked in the 19th century this is shit they don't want to hear.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/ho...ar-on-coal

Quote:Several House Republicans took to the floor Tuesday afternoon to criticize President Obama's speech on the environment at Georgetown University for launching what they said is the next step in the "war on coal."
Pretty good speech. It sounds to me like they might not go ahead with the Keystone pipeline, which is great. But he kept referencing natural gas... Fracking... I have serious concerns about this practice. But moving in a greener direction is the way to go, in my opinion. We can't afford not to.

(June 25, 2013 at 9:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Several House Republicans took to the floor Tuesday afternoon to criticize President Obama's speech on the environment at Georgetown University for launching what they said is the next step in the "war on coal."
Man... I burned some bridges on FB with people who were upset about family members being laid off from their coal jobs for questioning why we should keep investing in an industry that will be dead in 60 years. There will be no more coal by 2075, or at least none that is readily reached. Why invest in a dying, dirty, dangerous industry? I get that it's people's livelihoods, but shouldn't they be trained for other jobs elsewhere?
Job re-training is a panacea which does not really exist. People don't really want to be retrained and no one wants to support them if they are.
Tis better than investing millions of dollars into a dying industry though. If we stop investing in coal, people working in that industry are going to lose their jobs. There is no way around that. We should support them and help them get training for new work. I appreciate they don't want to and our job training programs could be better, but people fear change. That's what it all comes down to. We just can't lay off however many workers there are in the coal industry, but we can't keep funding coal either... Rock/Hard Place.
My father-in-law is upset at Obama for this reason (and others, seeing as how he's a right-wing Republican Fox News viewer). His livelihood is closely linked with coal.

But we have to do something. The coal won't last forever and it's spewing tons of CO2 into our atmosphere every year. Meanwhile trees are being cut down and every square foot of cities are being paved. Anyone who denies this is having an effect on the planet is an idiot.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
The same President who played golf with oil executives during a protest of the Keystone XL Pipeline to speak nothing of relaxing US EPA laws for foreign companies setting up shop in the US.

He's the boy who cried wolf when it comes to climate change policy.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Supreme Court has just declared combating climate change unconstitutional Rev. Rye 8 1452 July 5, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Climate Change - Human Extinction Rahn127 29 3794 January 30, 2019 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Climate Change Science Aractus 19 3657 March 16, 2014 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Environmentalism and Climate Change KichigaiNeko 19 7677 August 4, 2012 at 12:35 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NCSE's Climate Change Education Page Justtristo 2 1231 June 3, 2012 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Climate catastrophe isn't so certain Welsh cake 74 34321 May 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  World headed for irreversible climate change in five years, IEA warns Autumnlicious 57 14461 January 2, 2012 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Justtristo
Sad We've Known About Climate Change for 53 years now. TheDarkestOfAngels 32 10096 February 18, 2011 at 6:13 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Scientists Claim Laws Of Physics Change Throughout The Universe solja247 21 7935 September 24, 2010 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Where do you stand on climate change? theVOID 69 29662 January 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake