Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists Claim Laws Of Physics Change Throughout The Universe
Scientists Claim Laws Of Physics Change Throughout The Universe
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/09/scient...-universe/

This would throw a spanner into the works...

Although, rather incredible, it shows how little we know about the universe.
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
RE: Scientists Claim Laws Of Physics Change Throughout The Universe
Arg, it throws a wrench in NOTHING. It's new information that means we may have misunderstood something. WE ARE NOT LOCKED INTO A FIXED STRUCTURE THAT WE CONCEIVED.
My religion is the understanding of my world. My god is the energy that underlies it all. My worship is my constant endeavor to unravel the mysteries of my religion. Thinking
The superstitious HATE new information.
(September 12, 2010 at 7:43 pm)solja247 Wrote: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/09/scient...-universe/

This would throw a spanner into the works...

Although, rather incredible, it shows how little we know about the universe.

You have just realised this?Facepalm
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
This isn't that new, the idea has been around for a while - Still hasn't been published though - I'm waiting for the peer review process, so far he's kept his methodology very private - This is somewhat suspicious.

On a positive note, this argument would certainly defeat fine-tuning for once and for all Smile
I keep waiting for universe 2.0 to be released with brand new faster than light travel.
FTL = wormhole Smile You already have it (theoretically, provided you can sustain the throat with exotic matter)

Also, inflation was FTL.

2.0?
Version number.
(September 12, 2010 at 8:37 pm)theVOID Wrote: Also, inflation was FTL.

I'm not any sort of physicist. I barely passed my high school class, but from what I read general relativity precludes anything with mass from traveling faster than the speed of light. (Spaceships and their occupants generally have mass.)
(September 12, 2010 at 8:33 pm)lrh9 Wrote: I keep waiting for universe 2.0 to be released with brand new faster than light travel.

Waitaminute... if Gawd is Bill Gates... oh, shit, we really are fucked! get me outta here!!
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
(September 12, 2010 at 8:41 pm)lrh9 Wrote: Version number.
(September 12, 2010 at 8:37 pm)theVOID Wrote: Also, inflation was FTL.

I'm not any sort of physicist. I barely passed my high school class, but from what I read general relativity precludes anything with mass from traveling faster than the speed of light. (Spaceships and their occupants generally have mass.)

It sure does, to be specific it states that information (matter) cannot traverse two points faster than the speed of light, however spacetime is not matter and is masseless, that means that at the very least spacetime expands at the speed of light, however we have reasons for suspecting it was faster.

Effectively inflation was proposed to solve many observational discrepancies with the standard big-bang theory, namely the horizon problem, flatness problem etc.

The visible universe is 19 billion lightyears across, if expansion happened at the speed of light it should only be 13.7 billion lightyears across.

Spacetime can move away from it's self (from the equidistant point of two edges) faster than the speed of light, provided that no two ends of the expansion are in communication with each other (can "see" each other).

If you want to fry your brain i suggest you (attempt) to read the following:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users...ation.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16288 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5090 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The laws of thermodynamics LinuxGal 10 1563 November 25, 2022 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Supreme Court has just declared combating climate change unconstitutional Rev. Rye 8 1440 July 5, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1157 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What are Laws of Nature? vulcanlogician 63 4151 March 23, 2022 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 400 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2455 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Physics Puzzle onlinebiker 32 2029 July 21, 2020 at 4:07 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Physics questions ignoramus 21 1878 May 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris