Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shia or Suni?
Shia or Suni?
I recently spent a few thoughts over muslim friends I have, besides noting that I never discussed religion with them in any way I also noticed that almoust all of them are shia.
Most of them Afghan Shias who fled the Taliban during the 1990s or the war in the 2000s and some Iranians who fled the regime in Iran. Almoust all of them fled religious persecution (by Afghan sunis) or a very religious regime (Iranians). So I at first concluded that because of having gone through all of this, it might explain why all of them are so well integrated in society, have jobs, are well educated and occasionaly even drink alcohol. All of them have absolutly no problem with engaging with non muslims. Whilest most sunis here (especialy arabs) lack the will to participate in society and often even look down upon those within it.

Yet when I compare shias with sunis, I cant help but conclude that shias are simply more moderate by the nature of their beliefs. If you look at sunis and how they ban images and the worship of anything else but their prophet, the shias definatly are te more liberal with the worship of Hussain with images, dance and other it is obvious.

Of course when one looks at Iran or Lebanon one can see the worst of what this sekt of Islam can bring forward.

Do you think that shia is better than suni?
RE: Shia or Suni?
Shias are the same thing. Do not let it fool you. I was roaming around in Qatar, and I do not dare get anywhere near the Shia areas. The raise a black flag showing that community is Shia. I would probably not make it out of there alive.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
I think it is all shi'it.
I'd like to think I had a Suni disposition.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I don't actually know the difference, but my brother-in-law is Sunni, and I like him.
Quote: I was roaming around in Qatar, and I do not dare get anywhere near the Shia areas

You probably mean Bahrain?

Shia and Sunni hate each other so much that they are ready to annihilate each other.
Nope, it was Qatar, and yes they want to kill each other. They see each other as infidels as well.

Bahrain has the same problem, but I havent venture much there.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Quote:Shia and Sunni hate each other so much that they are ready to annihilate each other.

When you can hold a grudge for 13 centuries you are good at it.
There is no distinct difference between those two sects actually. In here(Turkey) people are mostly Sunni, and consequently I have lot's of Sunni friend who are tolerant and enlightened. Though I do live in a less religious city and my friends usually are from my university (most of whom are either atheist or deist.) But there is actually almost no visible difference between Shias and Sunnis. It's the individuals and their educations, intellectual capacity etc that makes the difference. For all I know Shias are the more fundamentalist ones, or should I say they have more strict rules such as you cannot touch a woman and vice versa (obviously:) ) unless they are married.

PS: Hello guys, It has been quite a while.:)
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shia & Sunna: Why I don't believe WinterHold 97 16829 May 16, 2016 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Is Shia Islam less Extreme? TrueChristian 11 2112 January 18, 2016 at 7:05 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Shia-Sunni issue and proofs? Mystic 27 6147 March 28, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Shia - Sunni issue. Mystic 18 8785 September 2, 2012 at 9:49 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet