Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity, Divisions, Fear Manipulation, and Post Modernist Theories
Christianity, Divisions, Fear Manipulation, and Post Modernist Theories
Today, Christianity is the most common religion in America today. Before Christianity, there were many other religions, but most of them have died out today. You will undoubtedly see numerous Christian churches when driving through the United States, and they range from Catholic, the various branches of the Protestant faith, and East Orthodox.

So why has Christianity survived for so many years, while the other religions like Paganism (a minority) and other indigenous religions mostly died out?

One possible answer is the theory of Post Modernism. A theory that came after Traditionalism and Modernism, Post Modernism says that practically everything we see in life is a social construction, and is therefore subject to change. For example, "women wear dresses and men wear pants". That is a perfect example because it is a cultural custom from long ago, which changed with time. Today, women wear pants all of the time, and there are even some men who wear dresses (transvestites). Religions are also a social construction that have been subjected to many different changes over time. Catholicism was the only form of Christianity, then it branched off into Protestantism, which in turn branched off into Presbyterianism and Methodism.

But how has Christianity and its many branches survived for so many years? One large reason, I would argue, is fear manipulation. Christianity is indeed a very bigoted religion. One of the Ten Commandments instructs disciples not to worship any deity other than the Christian God, obviously acknowledging that there are other gods in existence. This explains why Christians see Atheists and other religions' adherents as enemies of god. I conversed with a fellow on Youtube the other day who claimed that he does not closely associate with Atheists precisely for this reason. If that is the Christian God's law, then God's law is bigoted. If you worship any gods other than that of the Christian church's, then you are going to hell and will burn for all of eternity. Devil

Look at the intense fear manipulation there. Fear is, indeed, the most dominant of human emotions. Fear is precisely the reason why people give money to televangelists like Pat Robertson and Bryan Fischer; they think the Christian Coalition and American Family Association will get them a ticket to heaven if they join their depraved cause. These false prophets also have wide access to mass media, and their shows are broadcasted all over television and radio.

After and if the Christian churches die out, I wonder what religions will come next. The Church of Peter Griffin? The Church of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland? That will be interesting to see.

ROFLOL
RE: Christianity, Divisions, Fear Manipulation, and Post Modernist Theories
Xtianity gives fools something to cling to since reality scares the shit out of them.

But the fact that it is dying out is the one hopeful sign I see for the future.
(July 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Xtianity gives fools something to cling to since reality scares the shit out of them.

But the fact that it is dying out is the one hopeful sign I see for the future.

Pretty much.
(July 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote: Today, Christianity is the most common religion in America today. Before Christianity, there were many other religions, but most of them have died out today. You will undoubtedly see numerous Christian churches when driving through the United States, and they range from Catholic, the various branches of the Protestant faith, and East Orthodox.

So why has Christianity survived for so many years, while the other religions like Paganism (a minority) and other indigenous religions mostly died out?

One possible answer is the theory of Post Modernism. A theory that came after Traditionalism and Modernism, Post Modernism says that practically everything we see in life is a social construction, and is therefore subject to change. For example, "women wear dresses and men wear pants". That is a perfect example because it is a cultural custom from long ago, which changed with time. Today, women wear pants all of the time, and there are even some men who wear dresses (transvestites). Religions are also a social construction that have been subjected to many different changes over time. Catholicism was the only form of Christianity, then it branched off into Protestantism, which in turn branched off into Presbyterianism and Methodism.

But how has Christianity and its many branches survived for so many years? One large reason, I would argue, is fear manipulation. Christianity is indeed a very bigoted religion. One of the Ten Commandments instructs disciples not to worship any deity other than the Christian God, obviously acknowledging that there are other gods in existence. This explains why Christians see Atheists and other religions' adherents as enemies of god. I conversed with a fellow on Youtube the other day who claimed that he does not closely associate with Atheists precisely for this reason. If that is the Christian God's law, then God's law is bigoted. If you worship any gods other than that of the Christian church's, then you are going to hell and will burn for all of eternity. Devil

Look at the intense fear manipulation there. Fear is, indeed, the most dominant of human emotions. Fear is precisely the reason why people give money to televangelists like Pat Robertson and Bryan Fischer; they think the Christian Coalition and American Family Association will get them a ticket to heaven if they join their depraved cause. These false prophets also have wide access to mass media, and their shows are broadcasted all over television and radio.

After and if the Christian churches die out, I wonder what religions will come next. The Church of Peter Griffin? The Church of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland? That will be interesting to see.

ROFLOL

You are after that clown diploma.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:

I think the answer is simpler than that. Christianity is widespread because for almost a millennium they've been literally eliminating the competition. Pagans wouldn't have cared about the teachings of eternal hellfire because why would they care about something they don't believe to be true? But the teaching of "kill the heretics" was a much better tool for spreading the religion.
I think I would tend to agree with Nietzsche that Christianity is a sort of master-slave system that perverted the way people are and think in many absurd and nonsensical ways. With regards to survival, I don't think it's that hard to explain. If I had to do a quicklist, it'd be something like this:

1) It has origins in ancient Judaism.

-The Roman society tended to admire history and pedigree, and given 1), Christianity was more palatable to Romans than it would have been had it been a new religion (hence why Marcionite Christianity didn't win-out).

3) The teachings of Jesus of Nazareth (and Paul) contained a number of hopeful themes including (but not limited to) strength and assistance to endure the trials this life, explained the evils of the world so as to remove uncertainty, ultimately the vanquishing of foes and evil and an eternal afterlife for the righteous/saved byt damnation for the wicked.

4) An ideology like that is a pretty useful tool for manipulation, so it's not hard to see why Constantine endorsed it and made it Rome's official religion.

That seems about right.
(July 15, 2013 at 11:59 pm)Godschild Wrote: You are after that clown diploma.

Why are you out to give clowns a bad rap? Stephen King already horrified a nation by dressing Tim Curry up as a clown; it's time for our souls to heal after this travesty. It's time to remember Bozo for the pure entertainment that he was!
(July 16, 2013 at 12:42 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote:

Why are you out to give clowns a bad rap? Stephen King already horrified a nation by dressing Tim Curry up as a clown; it's time for our souls to heal after this travesty. It's time to remember Bozo for the pure entertainment that he was!

I'm not, sorry if it appears that way, Bozo was cool and Red Skelton was the best clown in many different dresses.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:3) The teachings of Jesus of Nazareth (and Paul) contained a number of hopeful themes including (but not limited to) strength and assistance to endure the trials this life

More to the point what ultimately emerged was:

1: Pay your taxes,

2: STFU and do what you're told,

3: You'll get your reward in the "next" life....(meanwhile, we'll just clean up down here.)

Xtianity, like all religions, serves the needs of the rulers.

Yet you can't corroborate that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? BrianSoddingBoru4 335 22239 August 23, 2021 at 5:21 am
Last Post: GUBU
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3496 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6490 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Fear of hell is in our dna... ignoramus 15 2076 September 20, 2018 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1788 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 21959 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fear Mystic 10 1910 March 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2475 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19256 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9331 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold