Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawkins and Christianity
Dawkins and Christianity
I looked to see if this article was posted anywhere here and I didn't find anything.

Just wondering what you all think about Dawkins' position in the article.

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/r.../76416.htm
RE: Dawkins and Christianity
Paraphrasing Dawkins out of context perhaps?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Ya I need to see the context, because I don't understand what is meant by Christianity being a defense against Islam. As far as Christianity being less violent than Islam I would probably agree, but it doesn't speak to the truth of either religion and I think they are both still dangerous ideologies.
The article is a rehash of an article that is a rehash of a text that circulated on the web, based on nothing but two short quotes from 7 years ago embellished with tendentious interpretations. It's crap journalism. There's not much of substance in there to comment on except this out of context quote by Dawkins where he says that current Christianity might actually serve to keep out more radical religions. And yes, I think that might be true. That the Breitbartesque rag you link to is trying to sell that as an astonishing endorsement of Christianity is pretty silly though.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 13, 2017 at 5:19 pm)rjh4 is back Wrote: I looked to see if this article was posted anywhere here and I didn't find anything.

Just wondering what you all think about Dawkins' position in the article.

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/r.../76416.htm

Have you an actual quote of Dawkins saying that? Or just links to anonymous christard propoganda? Well actually it's both, because you follow the link from your link, it links to breitbart which links to an obscure seven year old blog post quoting something which it purports to be Dawkins, and then compounding it by saying it says x when it says y, a blog post which also was trying to say that gay people were trying to join the EDL which hates gays more than it does muslims. Yeah, your link is a pile of lying shit. Not surprising given you're posting it.

Given that Dawkins considers christianity as big a threat as islam is to the world, I am very confident that this is about as truthful as Lady Hope lying about converting Darwin on his deathbed.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Why should I care? . It's not like he's the atheist pope . And thus has divine authority or something.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 13, 2017 at 5:36 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: Ya I need to see the context, because I don't understand what is meant by Christianity being a defense against Islam. As far as Christianity being less violent than Islam I would probably agree, but it doesn't speak to the truth of either religion and I think they are both still dangerous ideologies.

Right now Christianity isn't in the west but so what. We know what has happened in the past, and you see how our right wing in America is trying to turn back the clock. Power can shift over long periods of time.
Can't do it. Haven't read the article.

And I should care about Dawkin's position on anything, because...........?
Quote:"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death," he said.

He can simply be wrong, too.

Quote:"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death," he said.

Quote:A remote-controlled nail bomb exploded outside a clinic that performed abortions in Birmingham, Ala., in January 1998, instantly killing Robert Sanderson, an off-duty police officer working as a security guard there, and badly injuring Emily Lyons, a nurse who was left maimed and half-blind by the blast.

The bomb was planted and detonated by Eric Rudolph, a violent opponent of abortion who also bombed the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, killing one person, Alice Hawthorne, and injuring more than 100. Mr. Rudolph said he bombed the Olympics to anger and embarrass the United States as a punishment for its legalization of abortion.

Dawkins should have done a little more research before telling idiot jesus freaks what they want to hear.
As for not killing unbelievers trust me there are Christians who would  like this lovely fellows

http://madmikesamerica.com/2011/08/chris...ound-zero/

[Image: photo1.jpeg?resize=540%2C83]

[Image: photo3.jpeg?resize=540%2C81]

[Image: photo8.jpeg?resize=540%2C68]

[Image: photo13.png?resize=540%2C85]

[Image: photo14.png?resize=540%2C140]

[Image: photo16.png?resize=540%2C106]

[Image: photo15.png?resize=540%2C100]

[Image: photo18.png?resize=540%2C85]

[Image: photo7.jpeg?resize=540%2C160]
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 467 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? BrianSoddingBoru4 335 22165 August 23, 2021 at 5:21 am
Last Post: GUBU
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3468 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Richard Dawkins prefers church bells to "aggressive-sounding Allahu Akbar" Alexmahone 12 1233 July 20, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1786 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 21936 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2446 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9216 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins Czechlervitz30 22 3769 October 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 7865 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus