Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Hume's argument against miracles succeed?
Does Hume's argument against miracles succeed?
If I understand it correctly, Hume's argument against miracles is essentially saying that people whom believe reports of miracles occuring are being inconsistent with their treatment of induction, yes? In other words, if you treat your induction that reports that person X is usually truth-telling as taking precedence over the your experience that, say, statues don't cry, you're being inconsistent.

Assuming I'm roughly right about Hume's argument, does it succeed? I've heard religious apologists say that the argument has long since been refuted (I know Swinburne's written on it, but I haven't read any of his works), but I myself don't have enough knowledge of philosophy to be aware of this apparent fact.
RE: Does Hume's argument against miracles succeed?
Quote:Some writers, such as R.F. Holland, have argued that Hume's definition of "miracle" need not be accepted, and that an event needn't violate a natural law in order to be accounted miraculous.[8] It has been claimed by critics such as the Presbyterian minister, George Campbell, that Hume's argument is circular. That is, he rests his case against belief in miracles upon the claim that laws of nature are supported by exceptionless testimony, but testimony can only be accounted exceptionless if we discount the occurrence of miracles.

They like to think it has been refuted, but I doubt it has.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Does Hume's argument against miracles succeed?
(July 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: If I understand it correctly, Hume's argument against miracles is essentially saying that people whom believe reports of miracles occuring are being inconsistent with their treatment of induction, yes? In other words, if you treat your induction that reports that person X is usually truth-telling as taking precedence over the your experience that, say, statues don't cry, you're being inconsistent.

Assuming I'm roughly right about Hume's argument, does it succeed? I've heard religious apologists say that the argument has long since been refuted (I know Swinburne's written on it, but I haven't read any of his works), but I myself don't have enough knowledge of philosophy to be aware of this apparent fact.

No, Hume's argument stands up pretty well. Essentially, he urged us to judge miracles or reports of miracles by asking: 'Which is more likely: That the miracle in question occured as reported, or that the report of said miracle is either mistaken or dishonest?'

By being parsimonious in our judgement, Hume would have us reject the report of a miracle if and only if the error or dishonestly of the reporter would be MORE miraculous that the event reported, and that strikes me as a pretty conclusive argument.

Suppose, for example, that I told you that long-dead Irish freedom-fighter Michael Collins has risen from the dead and is at this very moment living in my guest house, drinking tea and watching the rugby test on the telly. Such a state of affairs would certainly qualify as a miracle, but since it is less likely that Collins is alive than it is that I'm either a raving loony or a liar, you can safely reject my report.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 2951 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3135 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8026 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13749 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68409 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Question How does one respond to this argument?It's long but an interesting read. Thanks :) fruyian 44 7074 May 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1153 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  'Is & Ought' in David Hume Pyrrho 14 3553 June 15, 2015 at 9:56 am
Last Post: mralstoner
  "Of Miracles" by David Hume Pyrrho 41 8233 May 20, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Inquisition
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 5929 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho