Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gnostic Christianity
Gnostic Christianity
It appears Christianity isn't as uniformed as claimed to be.

Their idea of evil and of the universe I find most intruiging:

http://www.religioustolerance.org Wrote:Evil: They did not look upon the world as having been created perfectly and then having degenerated as a result of the sin of Adam and Eve. Rather the world was seen as being evil at the time of its origin, because it had been created by an inferior God.

http://www.religioustolerance.org Wrote:The Universe: This is divided into three kingdoms:

1. The "Earthly Cosmos": The earth is the center of the universe, and is composed of the world that we know of and an underworld. It is surrounded by air and by 7 concentric heavenly spheres: one for each of the Moon, Venus, Mercury, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. (Although the planet Uranus is visible to the naked eye, it was not recognized as a planet in ancient times.) Within these spheres live demonic, tyrannical entities called Archons. Beyond them lies Paradise which contains the "Tree of Life", the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil", and the flaming, turning sword of Genesis 3:24. Beyond Paradise was the sphere of the fixed stars, divided into the 12 signs of the zodiac.
2. The "Intermediate Kingdom is composed of an inner blue circle of darkness and an outer yellow ring of light. Within these rings is a sphere which is the realm of Sophia.
3. The "Kingdom of God" consists of two spheres: an outer one of the unknowable Supreme God, and inner ring of the Son.

Source: http://www.religioustolerance.org/gnostic2.htm
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
RE: Gnostic Christianity
Nice post,

I love the depth that people go into when describing things that most people say are unknowable. It reminds me of me when I am describing my six dimensional model of the universe (Apparently science proffers up an 11 dimensional model but I don't know how to comprehend that). The only difference seems to be that I know my model is probably not "true" but religious assertions just put up a shield of faith that is supposed to protect their ideas from scrutiny. I could do the same, I suppose, but that wouldn't make my ideas any more or less interesting, just more annoying to people who would rather not accept stuff based on personal experience.

Rhizo
Weird. What's it about again Huh
The grand bureaucracy of hyperactive sugar crickets that makes up my brain just lost collective brain cells...

And although these crickets are geniuses... they are merely smart crickets... and they don't have many brain cells to spare.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gnostic Christians? Won2blv 5 2592 May 7, 2017 at 2:13 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6788 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8496 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18325 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
Lightbulb Gnostic gospels study group Doubting_Thomas 6 3872 October 13, 2012 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Doubting_Thomas