Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are certain horrific aspects of catholicism distinctive to that sect specificaly.
Are certain horrific aspects of catholicism distinctive to that sect specificaly.
I was in the Czech republic through the weekend with some friends and only returned home today. At our way home we made a stop at a little inn to have a massive Schnitzelbreakfest with coffe and strawberry pudding.

Anyway, there had been a very horrific accident on the A1 highway from Salzburg to Vienna on Monday which was pritty much talked about everywhere in the papers, radio and pups. A truck was forced to stop on the highway and the truck behind it couldnt get the brakes in time and crashed right into it, the gas tank brst, caught fire, and the poor man driving the truck was stuck in the truck and was burned alive whilest nobody could help and only watch in horror.

Through some coincidence, the inn at which we stopped was in the village from which the driver who had died was from.
Everyone in the inn was talking about the man and about his family in terms of mourning, when suddently a woman who was the owner of the inn said:

"That makes you think, what kind of horrible person he must have been in life to get such a horrible end through good."

Within seconds the terms in which the poor man and his family was talked about changed radicaly. Everybody was desperate in reminding others about any kind of somehow even little bit of unpleasentry that they could in any way think of about that poor person. Turning the most childish little things, even out of that mans childhood into some big crime story.
I was so disgusted that I tried to talk my friends into leaving without paying the bill, but in the end we just left early.

On the 4 hour drive home, I came to remember that this was in a way the reason why had left Austria and moved to (protestant and more liberal) Germany in the first place ( I am currently back but will leave next year). This disgusting catholic attitude, the idea of sin and divine redemption, and that god will somehow punish people during their lives for their sins and that every misfortune that was inflicted on you must be justifyable with sins of yours, which had completly sunken into the minds and culture of this backwards society (and if I am not mistaken also in Italy, France, Spain and Poland). I remembered several funerals from my childhood in which when the person brought to grave died a horrible death - people always looked for "sins" like a fucking pack of vultures to loudly justify that horrific death in a disgusting act of self staging infront of the others as some kind of moral authority.

There were also alot of other things I remebered to be wrong in this society, like the principle of a local school who was a catholic dignitary and who harrased female coworkers and other women - but was never brought to justice but went into early retirement, and alot of other such cases which show how catholic authority can level your status in a clansih conservative society in Europe.

But it is this revolting "sin and redemption" concept that I somehow kept thinking about.

Growing up here, I always thought of it as a catholic thing which in it`s way is very distinctive and mostly only happens in catholic societies.

Am I wrong????
RE: Are certain horrific aspects of catholicism distinctive to that sect specificaly.
I don't know if you're wrong or not but protestants where I grew up didn't act like that. If someone died a horrible death people would just shake their heads and say, "God works in mysterious ways." I've never seen anyone demonizing someone because they experienced a bad death.

That's weird.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
RE: Are certain horrific aspects of catholicism distinctive to that sect specificaly.
I don't have an answer to your question specifically, but I think those townsfolk are demented. Whether church inspired or human nature, trash talking the newly deceased does little to comfort themselves and especially the family members of the victim.

Pretty sick.
(July 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Everybody was desperate in reminding others about any kind of somehow even little bit of unpleasentry that they could in any way think of about that poor person. Turning the most childish little things, even out of that mans childhood into some big crime story.
I was so disgusted that I tried to talk my friends into leaving without paying the bill, but in the end we just left early.

On the 4 hour drive home, I came to remember that this was in a way the reason why had left Austria and moved to (protestant and more liberal) Germany in the first place ( I am currently back but will leave next year). This disgusting catholic attitude, the idea of sin and divine redemption, and that god will somehow punish people during their lives for their sins and that every misfortune that was inflicted on you must be justifyable with sins of yours, which had completly sunken into the minds and culture of this backwards society (and if I am not mistaken also in Italy, France, Spain and Poland). I remembered several funerals from my childhood in which when the person brought to grave died a horrible death - people always looked for "sins" like a fucking pack of vultures to loudly justify that horrific death

I'm Italian, raised Catholic, and I have never seen anything like this during my whole life. It may be just an Austrian thing.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(July 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm)oukoida Wrote: I'm Italian, raised Catholic, and I have never seen anything like this during my whole life. It may be just an Austrian thing.

Is the social concept of unquestionable catholic authority also existant in Italy?

Could very well be an Austrian thing, but I do often see it in conection to catholicism, after all it is something that is conected to religion and in Austria religion has always meant catholicism.
This is why we'll be better off without religion. Serves no useful purpose.
(July 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Is the social concept of unquestionable catholic authority also existant in Italy?

Well, in Italy, the church may be very obtrusive but is not unquestionable at all,since fortunately we had a very strong communist party to put its authority in discussion.

And then again, I think Italy is the country with the highest rate of "I believe in god but not in the church". No one knows how many times I've heard this thing...
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
No, I've seen buddhists do it. By buddhists I mean the one practiced with monks and chanting, I know there's a hippie version going on, that's not the one I mean. In buddhists teachings, you either pay for the bad things you do in this lifetime, or in the next, so this sort of thinking is common. I know of 2 horrible deaths that buddhists told me happened because those 2 were bad people.
What this sounds like to me, is the human tendency to frame things in the context of our own biases and beliefs, though a particularly disgusting example.

The poor man *must* have been a horrible person, yes? - else a benevolent overlord would not possibly allow him to suffer so. Right? Add that to some people's love of gossip, and this is what you get.

I doubt this is a trait of Catholicism per se, it seems more likely that's just the way those particular individuals are, and I strongly suspect that they were completely oblivious to how utterly disgusting they sounded.
I think it's called the Just World hypothesis. This urge humans have to explain horrible things outside of our control happening to people by saying they deserved it. Religion is one of the ways to justify/explain these things. The other one that's commonly seen is the "blame the victim" attitude.

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/i...world.html
Quote:The need to see victims as the recipients of their just deserts can be explained by what psychologists call the Just World Hypothesis. According to the hypothesis, people have a strong desire or need to believe that the world is an orderly, predictable, and just place, where people get what they deserve.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bending over to Catholicism Lucanus 4 802 December 6, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: abaris
  The Tories seem to be mimicing the worst aspects of the USA downbeatplumb 7 1424 April 8, 2014 at 8:38 am
Last Post: cromwell
  Did Bin Laden chose the 11 September specificaly? Something completely different 6 2107 March 10, 2013 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  In certain circumstances, is some crime understandable ( and laudable )? bozo 11 5492 March 30, 2009 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Demonaura