Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof of Christianity
Question 
Proof of Christianity
I may have asked a similar request of the Christians of the board before but I don't think I phrased the request well enough to be congenial to a fair discussion.

Dear Christians of the board, what is one single argument (any) you would put forth that you think a person if he/she were fully rational should accept as a sound proof of Christianity?

"proof of Christianity" = proof that the God of the bible exists, that the Jesus of the gospels i.e. the supernatural Jesus who died and rose exists, that the holy spirit exists, that angels and demons, that sin exists, that heaven and hell exists.

It doesn't matter what sort of argument you give. It could be anything so long as you think this argument is something that you think a fully rational person would accept.

What constitutes "rational" person is also whatever you think a rational person is. Before you give your argument, please explicitly define what you think constitutes rational thinking.

You should also define what it means for something to "exist." How do you know whether something exists or not?

Lastly, this is not asking for proof the deistic "God." Only the God of Christianity.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Proof of Christianity
Well, it's in the bible for starters... Smile

Seriously, most if not all Christians argue the existence of the Christian God using the bible as an authority. Of course it's not.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
But surely proof denies faith and without faith.. etc. etc.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Most of them have been around here long enough to recognize a trap when they see it, TEGH. Of course, some of them may blunder in anyway.
What more proof of God does one need other than to be made aware of the existence of God Himself?

The bible simply tells one how to find Him.

So where does faith come in? One must exhibit the equlivant amount of faith equal to that of a mustard seed, to believe the promise God made in Luke 11. Fore if one can A/S/K as outlined in luke 11 God promises to make that person 'aware' (throughout the giving of the Holy Spirit.)

Again what 'proof' of God is needed other than being made aware of God? That is like asking What 'proof' is there of the color orange? Or of any color for that matter. There isn't. There is only an awareness that a wave length of light reflecting from the red and yellow part of the visual spectrum is indeed known as orange.
Case in point, TEGH!

Big Grin
(August 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm)Drich Wrote: What more proof of God does one need other than to be made aware of the existence of God Himself?

The bible simply tells one how to find Him.

So where does faith come in? One must exhibit the equlivant amount of faith equal to that of a mustard seed, to believe the promise God made in Luke 11. Fore if one can A/S/K as outlined in luke 11 God promises to make that person 'aware' (throughout the giving of the Holy Spirit.)

Again what 'proof' of God is needed other than being made aware of God? That is like asking What 'proof' is there of the color orange? Or of any color for that matter. There isn't. There is only an awareness that a wave length of light reflecting from the red and yellow part of the visual spectrum is indeed known as orange.

The problem with your analogy is that we can actually see colours. We cannot see your god.
Just because I am made aware of the Loch Ness monster, does not automatically mean i believe it exists. This is how all sceptics operate. We need actual evidence before we go believing in something. We can't help it, thats just the way we are.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
And Drippy falls for every tall tale he's told. That's the way he is.
(August 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm)Drich Wrote: What more proof of God does one need other than to be made aware of the existence of God Himself?

Please allow me to translate Drich's erudition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E31nCSKPjmA

I have been made aware of plenty of fairy tales, accompanied with their own books, but it does not mean I am going to close my eyes to reality in order to accept that those fairy tales are real. God is no different than any other mythological origin story, a mere fabrication of primitive men who wanted to fill in the gaps of knowledge with something that is no more real than any fictional character created from an overactive imagination.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6782 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8496 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18320 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Proof that Christianity is destructive reverendjeremiah 24 11807 February 9, 2013 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Tnmusicman
  Atheists: How do you explain this Irrefutable PROOF of Christianity? Charkie 26 13803 June 15, 2011 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Violet