Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chronological Snobberry Fallacy
Chronological Snobberry Fallacy
I see this fallacy called Chronological Snobbery (a term coined by Robert M Price I believe) a lot. It involves dismissing an idea or argument because of it being too old or out of fashion. It can occur in any context but I see it most commonly occur among those in academic fields.

Its form is as follows

If an idea is old or out of fashion, it is false.
x is old or out of fashion.
Therefore, x is false.

Here's an example I heard in a conversation last year:

Me: "...Willam Malloch's article gave strong evidence and reason that the opening of Bach's overtures were originally intended to be taken at the same tempo as the following fugues."
Other person: "what year was the article published?"
Me: "1983."
Other person: "ohhhh, yeah musicology has moved on."

Apparently arguments have an expiration date.

You could make an inductive argument of course that in rigorous fields, outdated ideas are likely to be false ideas but that alone can't definitively refute any modern usage of out of fashion thinking in every case. There's still the possibility that the current generation has it wrong in some areas.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Chronological Snobberry Fallacy
I tend to apply the fallacy to literature. If the book is more than thirty years old, I tend to dismiss it as useless and boring.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
... but as men get older, all the better.

So another fallacy would be:
X is old, or out of fashion.
Therefore, X is hot.

Thank you, and good night.

(searches other threads to pick on)
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(August 11, 2013 at 3:46 am)Ivy Wrote: ... but as men get older, all the better.

I'd like to keep that phallusy going
If we could just dismiss antiquated religions as readily.

(August 11, 2013 at 4:16 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(August 11, 2013 at 3:46 am)Ivy Wrote: ... but as men get older, all the better.

I'd like to keep that phallusy going

Boooo! Hiss! Smile
(August 11, 2013 at 3:24 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I see this fallacy called Chronological Snobbery (a term coined by Robert M Price I believe) a lot. It involves dismissing an idea or argument because of it being too old or out of fashion. It can occur in any context but I see it most commonly occur among those in academic fields.

Its form is as follows

Therefore, x is false.

Me: "...Willam Malloch's article gave strong evidence and reason that the opening of Bach's overtures were originally intended to be taken at the same tempo as the following fugues."

You could make an inductive argument of course that in rigorous fields, outdated ideas are likely to be false ideas but that alone can't definitively refute any modern usage of out of fashion thinking in every case. There's still the possibility that the current generation has it wrong in some areas.

Your argument is sooooo last year. Tongue
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(August 11, 2013 at 9:11 am)Chas Wrote: Your argument is sooooo last year. Tongue
So is that expression. Big Grin
(August 11, 2013 at 3:33 am)Maelstrom Wrote: I tend to apply the fallacy to literature. If the book is more than thirty years old, I tend to dismiss it as useless and boring.
WHAT? How very dare you!
(August 11, 2013 at 3:24 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I see this fallacy called Chronological Snobbery (a term coined by Robert M Price I believe) a lot. It involves dismissing an idea or argument because of it being too old or out of fashion. It can occur in any context but I see it most commonly occur among those in academic fields.

Its form is as follows

Therefore, x is false.

The expiration date can be determined by many factors - such as a new and better ideas coming along or the contextual applicability. When we say the field of study has moved on, the implication is clear - that there is something better out there that it has moved on to. Whether or not an idea is outdated doesn't have anything to do with how old it is, it is determined by better options being available.

For example, we refer to many aspects of Freud's psychoanalytic theory as outdated because we've better explanations available to us. But the germ theory, which is older than that, is not regarded as such.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fallacy List Foxaèr 12 3729 May 26, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  fallacy ref! - funny and informative drfuzzy 3 1007 November 17, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Deliberate use of fallacy bennyboy 40 7014 April 9, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  The Existential Fallacy Pizza 6 2297 March 20, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The naturalistic fallacy and masturbation Clueless Morgan 22 3674 October 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy Simon Moon 8 2558 August 10, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The hovind fallacy Lemonvariable72 18 4636 October 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  The Brain=Mind Fallacy Neo-Scholastic 281 112219 June 15, 2012 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist