Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The naturalistic fallacy and masturbation
The naturalistic fallacy and masturbation
I was just making dinner and thinking about masturbation (because, you know, why not?) and got to thinking about the standard defense rolled out of "it's perfectly natural to masturbate, it's a normal human act of exploring your own sexuality and yadda yadda yadda..." and got to wondering whether this falls prey to the naturalistic fallacy.

It's okay to masturbate because it's natural.

Thoughts? Does this qualify as a fallacious argument or not?

(full disclosure, I haven't given this a huge deal of thought. In fact, I'm still making dinner.)Tongue
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: The naturalistic fallacy and masturbation
I hope you washed your hands . . .

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
Don't think too hard and burn the dinner.

Masturbation is indeed natural. So are murder and rape. It's just that rape and murder are not only rarer, but not okay. The difference is that masturbation (baring special circumstances like doing it in the middle of mom's tea party) hurts no one including the masturbater whereas rape and murder do whether you do them at mom's tea party or any where else.

I would say masturbation is okay because it hurts no one. There's even some evidence that it's good for your health.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
It's ok to masturbate because it has health benefits, and hurts no one.

I know that just because it happens in nature, it doesn't mean we should do it. We should decide on things that are ok to do according to how much it helps, compared to how much it harms. Masturbation helps in a few ways, and doesn't harm anyone as long as you don't do it excessively. All good things in moderation.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I think that's an appeal to nature, not a naturalistic fallacy.
The argument that masturbation is good (or acceptable) because it does no harm to anyone or because it has potential health benefits are a different argument to me than simply saying that it's good (or acceptable) because it's a natural human act. I don't disagree with the statements that it's good (or acceptable) because it doesn't cause harm or it has health befits, my question is specifically about people who defend masturbation "because it's natural."

Based on my understanding the health and harm arguments are satisfactory in the sense that they aren't fallacious, but I think the "because it's natural" argument is.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
That's an appeal to nature. It's natural, therefore it is good. That a fallacy, but a different fallacy from naturalistic fallacy, which might go something like, it feels good, therefore naturally it must be good.
Nature sucks. Mosquitos everywhere, no birth control, and no hot baths. Highly over-rated.
I'm waiting on someone (Losty, whateverist) to say "it's especially good when CluelessMorgan does it." but I guess I have to be the weird Internet perv. Way to drop the ball team!
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(October 29, 2014 at 10:35 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: I was just making dinner and thinking about masturbation (because, you know, why not?) and got to thinking about the standard defense rolled out of "it's perfectly natural to masturbate, it's a normal human act of exploring your own sexuality and yadda yadda yadda..." and got to wondering whether this falls prey to the naturalistic fallacy.

It's okay to masturbate because it's natural.

Thoughts? Does this qualify as a fallacious argument or not?

(full disclosure, I haven't given this a huge deal of thought. In fact, I'm still making dinner.)Tongue

Well yeah, if you carry on like that dinner may take a very long time. (Hope you washed.) Wink

Doh, beaten to the punch. Well played, Beccs, well played.

Does masturbation require a rationalization? If you wanna, go ahead. If not, lets eat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fallacy List Foxaèr 12 3650 May 26, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  fallacy ref! - funny and informative drfuzzy 3 996 November 17, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Deliberate use of fallacy bennyboy 40 6876 April 9, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  The Existential Fallacy Pizza 6 2264 March 20, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy Simon Moon 8 2512 August 10, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The hovind fallacy Lemonvariable72 18 4584 October 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Chronological Snobberry Fallacy Tea Earl Grey Hot 8 3647 August 11, 2013 at 10:32 am
Last Post: genkaus
  The Brain=Mind Fallacy Neo-Scholastic 281 111508 June 15, 2012 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  [split] Theistic VS Naturalistic morality fr0d0 32 10676 October 10, 2010 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  New podcast on naturalistic moral realism lukeprog 3 1684 August 2, 2010 at 11:28 am
Last Post: rjh4 is back