Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy
I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy
This fallacy lets a debater disregard an opponent's argument based solely on a point in the opposing argument being sourced from Wikipedia.

Debater A: 2 + 2 = 5
Debater B: I just checked Wiki, and there's an article that says 2 + 2 = 4
Debater A: Wiki! Seriously? Is that all you got?

Fact is, that there have been studies that have shown that Wiki is just as accurate as Encyclopedia Britanica.

"In 2005, the peer-reviewed journal Nature asked scientists to compare Wikipedia's scientific articles to those in Encyclopaedia Britannica—"the most scholarly of encyclopedias," according to its own Wiki page. The comparison resulted in a tie; both references contained four serious errors among the 42 articles analyzed by experts."

And another study:

"the Journal of Clinical Oncology found that Wikipedia had the same level of accuracy and depth in its articles about 10 types of cancer as the Physician Data Query, a professionally edited database maintained by the National Cancer Institute."

"The self-described "free encyclopedia that anyone can edit" has fared similarly well in most other studies comparing its accuracy to conventional encyclopedias, including studies by The Guardian, PC Pro, Library Journal, the Canadian Library Association, and several peer-reviewed academic studies."

"Adam Riess, professor of astronomy and physics at Johns Hopkins University and one of the scientists credited with proposing the existence of dark energy , to rate Wikipedia's "dark energy" entry.

"It's remarkably accurate," Riess said. "Certainly better than 95 percent correct."

http://www.livescience.com/32950-how-acc...pedia.html

http://library.blogs.delaware.gov/2013/0...le-source/

All one has to do is scroll down to the bottom of the Wiki page and check out the footnote sources. On science, history, medicine, computers, etc, the sources are the same as used in scholarly articles with other sources.

The main types of entries on Wiki that tend to be inaccurate are those for: celebrities, politicians, other people in the public eye, articles that are highly dependent on personal opinion. Mostly due to haters and rivals.

From personal experience, as a reasonably competent network engineer, I can attest to the accuracy of the many network related entries I have researched.

Sorry debaters, on both sides, you can't blow off an argument simply because one of the sources, or the only source was Wiki. The information should be evaluated on its own merit.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
RE: I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy
That's where those little links at the bottom of the wiki page become useful.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Caveat: Wikipedia often contains warning notes such as that the article is in dispute, or that further citation is needed. Those warnings should be taken seriously. They mean the particular article might not be all that accurate.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Its an appeal to authority that was committed by both sides. Both were addressing the source, rather than the content.

Person x: "Oh well, here's what wiki says!"
Person z: "You're quoting wiki? Seriously?"

Rather than taking the time to actually read the information, fine-comb and scrutinize its accuracy and validity, to see if it stands up in a debate.

Though I've noticed the critics of wiki, condemning people for referencing it, arguing its "lack of citation" or "citation there-in is not credible", have been rather quiet lately.
This sounds like a subspecies of the genetic fallacy -- due solely to the source of the argument, the argument is invalid without addressing the points made in the argument.
Most people who make such arguments fall down in other areas anyway, so it's often not worth the time debating the point when there are so many others to choose from.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I looked up "wikipedia fallacy," but wikipedia has no entry for it. That means it doesn't exist.
Re: RE: I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy
(August 10, 2014 at 12:17 am)bennyboy Wrote: I looked up "wikipedia fallacy," but wikipedia has no entry for it. That means it doesn't exist.

Therein lies the beauty of Wikipedia, go and create a page for it :-)
(August 10, 2014 at 8:33 am)StuW Wrote:
(August 10, 2014 at 12:17 am)bennyboy Wrote: I looked up "wikipedia fallacy," but wikipedia has no entry for it. That means it doesn't exist.

Therein lies the beauty of Wikipedia, go and create a page for it :-)

I should type, "Wikipedia is always wrong." Then the universe will implode in a puff of paradox.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fallacy List Foxaèr 12 3714 May 26, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  fallacy ref! - funny and informative drfuzzy 3 1007 November 17, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Deliberate use of fallacy bennyboy 40 7009 April 9, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  The Existential Fallacy Pizza 6 2297 March 20, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The naturalistic fallacy and masturbation Clueless Morgan 22 3671 October 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The hovind fallacy Lemonvariable72 18 4635 October 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Chronological Snobberry Fallacy Tea Earl Grey Hot 8 3682 August 11, 2013 at 10:32 am
Last Post: genkaus
  The Brain=Mind Fallacy Neo-Scholastic 281 112046 June 15, 2012 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist