Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measles Outbreak at Vaccine-Denying Church
Measles Outbreak at Vaccine-Denying Church
Quote:For several days now, state health officials have been sounding the alarm about a nascent measles outbreak in North Texas. As of Friday, there had been nine confirmed cases, a number that will grow as new reports from local health agencies filter up to the state.

The epicenter of the outbreak is Tarrant County, which has now confirmed 10 cases, and the epicenter of cases in Tarrant County seems to be at Eagle Mountain International Church.

Pastor Terri Copeland Pearsons delivered the news in a sermon last Wednesday:

Quote:There has been a ... confirmed case of the measles from the Tarrant County Public Health Department. And that is a really big deal in that America, the United States has been essentially measles free for I think it's 10 years. And so when measles pops up anywhere else in the United States, the health department -- well, you know, it excites them. You know what I mean I don't mean. I don't mean they're happy about it, but they get very excited and respond to it because it doesn't take much for things like that to spread.

The sermon was awkward, to say the least. Pearsons is the eldest daughter of megapastor Kenneth Copeland, and her church is one of the cornerstones of Kenneth Copeland Ministries, his sprawling evangelical empire. He's far from the most vocal proponent of the discredited theory that the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine causes autism, but, between his advocacy of faith healing and his promotion of the vaccine-autism link on his online talk show, he's not exactly urging his flock to get their recommended shots.

That left his daughter doing some nifty theological footwork in last week's sermon as she struggled to explain how believers should trust their health to both God and medical professionals.

Quote:There are a lot of people that think the Bible -- we talk about walking by faith -- it leaves out things such as, I don't know, people just get strange. But when you read the Old Testament, you find that it is full of precautionary measures, and it is full of the law.

Why did the Jewish people, why did they not die out during the plague? Because the Bible told them how to be clean, told them how to disinfect, told them there was something contagious. And the interesting thing of it, it wasn't a medical doctor per se who took care of those things, it was the priesthood. It was the ministers, it was those who knew how to take the promises of God as well as the commandments of God to take care of things like disinfection and so forth....

Many of the things that we have in medical practice now actually are things you can trace back into scripture. It's when we find out what's in the scripture that we have wisdom.

She concludes by announcing that the church was hosting a pair of free vaccination clinics and urging everyone to show up, advice that probably would have been more helpful two months ago.

It's always hard to believe that there people this dumb.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Measles Outbreak at Vaccine-Denying Church
I have yet to see a belief in god make a person smarter. Now that would be a real miracle.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Guess that is simply the natural course of events.

If I were to set myself on fire I wouldnt be suprised about the pain.
(August 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I have yet to see a belief in god make a person smarter. Now that would be a real miracle.

Especially those who would believe in god have so much room for more smarts.
Quote:It's always hard to believe that there people this dumb.

I don't know why. These people believe a dead jew came back to life so that they were freed from the "sin" of rib-woman.

The bar is set pretty low to begin with.
It's not just dumb, it's dangerous.

ETA: Yes, I'm Captain Obvious.
(August 22, 2013 at 6:49 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote:
Quote:For several days now, state health officials have been sounding the alarm about a nascent measles outbreak in North Texas. As of Friday, there had been nine confirmed cases, a number that will grow as new reports from local health agencies filter up to the state.

The epicenter of the outbreak is Tarrant County, which has now confirmed 10 cases, and the epicenter of cases in Tarrant County seems to be at Eagle Mountain International Church.

Pastor Terri Copeland Pearsons delivered the news in a sermon last Wednesday:

The sermon was awkward, to say the least. Pearsons is the eldest daughter of megapastor Kenneth Copeland, and her church is one of the cornerstones of Kenneth Copeland Ministries, his sprawling evangelical empire. He's far from the most vocal proponent of the discredited theory that the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine causes autism, but, between his advocacy of faith healing and his promotion of the vaccine-autism link on his online talk show, he's not exactly urging his flock to get their recommended shots.

That left his daughter doing some nifty theological footwork in last week's sermon as she struggled to explain how believers should trust their health to both God and medical professionals.

She concludes by announcing that the church was hosting a pair of free vaccination clinics and urging everyone to show up, advice that probably would have been more helpful two months ago.

It's always hard to believe that there people this dumb.

The only thing these people are guilty of is the idea that God can not work miricals through science, and as a result have shunned what they do not understand. Which ironically, is true for the majority of atheist I have spoken with over the years. The only difference between this one extreme and the atheist extreme is that you hold opposing views on God.
(August 22, 2013 at 6:53 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I have yet to see a belief in god make a person smarter. Now that would be a real miracle.

Weeeell...Isaac Newton, Galileo, Blaise Pascal, Robert Boyle, Michael Faraday, William Kelvin, Max Planck... I don't think the engineering I'm learning at uni would be possible without these Christians, *especially* Newton! Wink
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(August 23, 2013 at 9:28 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Weeeell...Isaac Newton, Galileo, Blaise Pascal, Robert Boyle, Michael Faraday, William Kelvin, Max Planck... I don't think the engineering I'm learning at uni would be possible without these Christians, *especially* Newton! Wink

Well, I did not state that religious people cannot be smart. I stated that religion does not make an individual smarter.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 23, 2013 at 9:21 am)Drich Wrote: The only thing these people are guilty of is the idea that God can not work miricals through science, and as a result have shunned what they do not understand. Which ironically, is true for the majority of atheist I have spoken with over the years. The only difference between this one extreme and the atheist extreme is that you hold opposing views on God.

Can you rephrase this? The only thing these people are guilty of is being stupid.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1226 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 2589 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4151 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10514 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul