Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Update of the Rules
An Update of the Rules
Some of you guys know that we suggested the idea that no one should call out another member in a thread because, well, it is just kind of a bad etiquette.

This was not a part of the official rules, but now we have amended that into the rules with a brief explanation (as quoted below).

Atheist Forums Staff Wrote:No Calling Out
Do not any create threads that call out a specific member. Calling out is whenever someone creates a thread that is aimed at a specific member in order to insult him, complain about him, and/or to put him in a awkward position such as by challenging his views or even by asking him questions. This type of attack is sometimes accompanied by a display of a member's username in the title of a thread as well, and that is not allowed either. Any such posts or titles will be edited by the staff as soon as they are brought to our attention.

Even if there is no malicious intent for calling out someone, it might be a little troubling for the other person because he or she may be unwilling to post a reply. To avoid such a problem, you should send a PM to that member if there is something that you want especially him to answer or address in the public area of the forum. If he agrees to engage with you, then you may start the topic that you wished to create, but, again, without calling him out.

Calling out will be allowed only for the purpose of announcing special or important things about another member (such as to announce someone's birthday, for example, or something that you think others might be concerned about). It will not be allowed for supporting anything negative or offensive about any member of this forum. If you feel that it is something that we, the staff, should know about regarding another member, then it is best to discuss the issue with us via the PM system.

http://atheistforums.org/rules.php
RE: An Update of the Rules
I had not noticed this to be a problem.
A certain someone recently called out another someone on the forums by using that certain someone's username in the thread title.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
You don't need my approval, but I approve. A two party conversation is better served by: PM, e-mail, phone, yelling over the fence, etc. Bypassing these does tend to unfairly put the addressee in a spot.

Good call, y'all.
I also suggest that if there is something you need to debate with a specific member on a specific subject, under public eye, go for a proper debate on the so aptly named 'debate arena' (really underused). What more would one want?

TL;DR: Fight the idea, not the person.
(August 23, 2013 at 3:50 am)LastPoet Wrote: I also suggest that if there is something you need to debate with a specific member on a specific subject, under public eye, go for a proper debate on the so aptly named 'debate arena' (really underused). What more would one want?

TL;DR: Fight the idea, not the person.

I've been wanting to invite someone to a debate on the stance of humanism vs. nihilism but I'm still not comfortable enough with my own information on nihilism to really be capable of fully debating it.[/unrelated post to OP]
(August 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I've been wanting to invite someone to a debate on the stance of humanism vs. nihilism but I'm still not comfortable enough with my own information on nihilism to really be capable of fully debating it.[/unrelated post to OP]

Well, when you eventually get around to do it, contact the other party, and if both agree with the debate, its just as simple as contacting the staff.
It's almost as if you don't want dramaz here. Sad
(August 24, 2013 at 5:30 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: It's almost as if you don't want dramaz here. Sad

Who, us? Naaaaah Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6367 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  A Quick Update Tiberius 4 1840 January 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Privacy Policy Update Tiberius 1 915 October 8, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Area 69 Rules Update Cyberman 34 5813 July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can you figure out The Rules? Tiberius 0 950 April 1, 2017 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Trolling rule update Jackalope 110 18281 February 19, 2017 at 3:39 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule. Tiberius 25 5717 November 27, 2016 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  New Rules Tiberius 20 5028 September 3, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New Rules (Member Review) Tiberius 29 11170 September 3, 2015 at 2:11 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update Tiberius 38 6808 July 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13