Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing Ideas!
Amazing Ideas!
A good few years ago I read a submission sent into OMNI Magazine’s letter page. It stood out that month as a really entertaining piece of lateral thinking. Unfortunately I don’t remember the name of the person who sent the letter (or the subsequent reply) but it must have entertained quite a few people and spread because in the intervening years I’ve heard it retold many times. The original post (which may itself have been a quote) and the reply went something like this…

1. Cats always land on their feet.
2. Buttered toast always lands butter side down when dropped.
Therefore: If you take a cat and glue a slice of buttered toast to its back, butter side out, then drop it to the floor the cat should stop just above the floor and begin to spin. As a result we have created the perpetual motion engine.

The reply that came in the following month went something like this…

The relationship between the likelihood of a white carpet getting stained and the staining potential of any substance is proportional, that is, the more likely something is to stain the more likely it is to fall on the white carpet.

Using this law, if we smear the back of a cat with Indian masala sauce and place the cat underneath a train running on strips of white nylon carpet, we can have a hover train that requires very little energy to run.

I thought it might be fun to have a go at this myself so here is my energy saving idea.

If we splice print toner with DNA, we can prepare a report that, if left on a desk overnight, will copy itself.

I think the brilliant minds of AF can better this, so here you go. It’s not a competition but I guess we can see which are the better ideas from the number of kudos votes each one gets…

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: Amazing Ideas!
Too late in the day for my brain to handle the challenge. Maybe tomorrow.
Is this just energy saving ideas? I have one for alter boy saving...it involves genetically altered priests with anuses for mouths and a vertebral column that folds over at the power of third party suggestion.

The irony will be great if you respond to me saying 'quit talking shit', and then 'go fuck yourself'.
(August 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: genetically altered priests with anuses for mouths

Why would you need to genetically alter them for that? Why not just use a regular priest?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 27, 2013 at 9:07 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(August 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: genetically altered priests with anuses for mouths

Why would you need to genetically alter them for that? Why not just use a regular priest?

Debbie Downer. Smile

Think big picture...don't the priests give a hoodoo incantation over the communal chalice thingy before taking a slug? My guess, no one wants to catch a floaty from Fr. potty mouth after. An asshole in plain view may singlehandly turn off Catholics from church service.

And it would all be thanks to this guy! *Thumps chest and cheeses.*
That's sort of the way I was thinking; they already spout shit from their mouths anyway. I suppose making it more obvious would help though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Wow, the wheels fell-off that one pretty quick.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Father's day ideas for Darth. ignoramus 1 306 August 16, 2019 at 9:31 am
Last Post: brewer
  Pitch ideas for Christian movies Fake Messiah 17 2134 July 10, 2019 at 8:39 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just amazing..... max-greece 0 622 February 13, 2014 at 8:17 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Random revolutionary ideas HorribleOffensiveScouser91 3 2721 November 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Amazing Whale Photo A Theist 2 1590 October 28, 2010 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Rowan Atkinson: Amazing Jesus Entropist 3 3001 September 3, 2010 at 2:24 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Figurine Pranks - Need Ideas Scented Nectar 37 12636 July 5, 2010 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Scented Nectar