Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There was no census when Jesus was born
There was no census when Jesus was born
Okay, Christians, explain this:

For 1600 years, it was accepted that Jesus was born in 3 B.C. But then about a 100 years ago, someone realized that "Hey, Herod died in 4 B.C., so Jesus had to have been born in 6 B.C." Unfortunately, there are problems with this theory:

1) There is no historical record of any kind from any culture that Herod ordered a census to be held in the last couple years of his life. Josephus kept extensive records of the life of Herod, and never once mentions a census between 6 and 4 B.C.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_reco..._Bethlehem

2) Despite this, it is also well established in the book of Luke that Quirinias was governor of Syria (Luke 2:2) when the census was held. However, Quirinias was not Governor of Syria until 6 C.E. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirinius), ten years after Herod's death. According to other historical records. Quirinias did indeed hold a census (not Herod) in 6 or 7 C.E.

3) Why did Quirinias wait to hold a census in 6 or 7 C.E.? Because Judea was not a Roman Province until 6 C.E. There was no need for the Romans to take a census in the time of Herod because Judea was just a client kingdom.
http://www.livius.org/jo-jz/judaea/judaea.htm

So, I have established, with references, that Herod did not order a census, was not even alive when Quirinias was governor of Syria, and most importantly of all, Judea was not even a part of the Roman Empire until 6 C.E., when Jesus would have been 12 years old according to modern estimates. The bible is in error, and therefore, not the word of God, but just some fantasy written by creators of a new religion.

So, Christians, don't give me any "where's your proof" B.S., because I can give you more. And don't give me any garbage about the lunar eclipse. I can take that theory down, too.
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/r...inius.html
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
RE: There was no census when Jesus was born
Hey, that's a nice chip on your shoulder.
Even Quirinius' census would not have extended to friggin' "Nazareth" which apparently did not even exist at the time and later on, when it was founded, was in Galilee which was not part of the new praefecture of Judaea.

Xtians have fucked this up to a fare-thee-well because by the time these silly gospels were written no one remembered the political situation at the beginning of the first century.

Enjoy.
(August 29, 2013 at 6:06 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Hey, that's a nice chip on your shoulder.

Yeah, okay, I'm being a bit of a dick, but I've been reading both Christian and Atheist web sites to make sure I'm seeing both sides of the coin. I haven't read any excessively rude statements from atheists, but I read this on a Christian web site:

"If evolution were correct, and humans evolved from monkeys, then why are monkeys still around today? There is really no explanation for this, yet this heathen ideal is still taught in our schools. No doubt thanks to the agenda"s being pushed by gays and their liberal co-conspirators to destroy our youth and convert the nation to communism."

WTF? Now who sounds more like a jerk, me or that Christian? Say what you will, I'm just tired of being told I'm wrong all the time, and never seeing an ounce of proof to explain why.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
Also I think people can't walk on water or rise from the dead........
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Quote:"If evolution were correct, and humans evolved from monkeys, then why are monkeys still around today?

Well if there weren't who would follow fucking jesus?
(August 29, 2013 at 6:38 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote: Yeah, okay, I'm being a bit of a dick, but I've been reading both Christian and Atheist web sites to make sure I'm seeing both sides of the coin.

Yeah... wrong and right. Smile
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(August 29, 2013 at 6:38 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote:
(August 29, 2013 at 6:06 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Hey, that's a nice chip on your shoulder.

Yeah, okay, I'm being a bit of a dick, but I've been reading both Christian and Atheist web sites to make sure I'm seeing both sides of the coin. I haven't read any excessively rude statements from atheists, but I read this on a Christian web site:

"If evolution were correct, and humans evolved from monkeys, then why are monkeys still around today? There is really no explanation for this, yet this heathen ideal is still taught in our schools. No doubt thanks to the agenda"s being pushed by gays and their liberal co-conspirators to destroy our youth and convert the nation to communism."

WTF? Now who sounds more like a jerk, me or that Christian? Say what you will, I'm just tired of being told I'm wrong all the time, and never seeing an ounce of proof to explain why.

This comes from a gross misunderstanding of evolution, and really the only remedy is to ensure that it's taught correctly in schools. By the flawed logic of this Christian you quoted, one can also formulate the question: If Americans came from Great Britain, why are there still Brits?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(August 29, 2013 at 5:58 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote: Okay, Christians, explain this:

For 1600 years, it was accepted that Jesus was born in 3 B.C. But then about a 100 years ago, someone realized that "Hey, Herod died in 4 B.C., so Jesus had to have been born in 6 B.C." Unfortunately, there are problems with this theory:

1) There is no historical record of any kind from any culture that Herod ordered a census to be held in the last couple years of his life. Josephus kept extensive records of the life of Herod, and never once mentions a census between 6 and 4 B.C.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_reco..._Bethlehem

2) Despite this, it is also well established in the book of Luke that Quirinias was governor of Syria (Luke 2:2) when the census was held. However, Quirinias was not Governor of Syria until 6 C.E. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirinius), ten years after Herod's death. According to other historical records. Quirinias did indeed hold a census (not Herod) in 6 or 7 C.E.

3) Why did Quirinias wait to hold a census in 6 or 7 C.E.? Because Judea was not a Roman Province until 6 C.E. There was no need for the Romans to take a census in the time of Herod because Judea was just a client kingdom.
http://www.livius.org/jo-jz/judaea/judaea.htm

So, I have established, with references, that Herod did not order a census, was not even alive when Quirinias was governor of Syria, and most importantly of all, Judea was not even a part of the Roman Empire until 6 C.E., when Jesus would have been 12 years old according to modern estimates. The bible is in error, and therefore, not the word of God, but just some fantasy written by creators of a new religion.

So, Christians, don't give me any "where's your proof" B.S., because I can give you more. And don't give me any garbage about the lunar eclipse. I can take that theory down, too.

Nice to argue, but still a fucking distraction. I understand the "history" aspects of the battle prong are needed. But I personally have no use for their Yellow Brick Road tactics and see right through them.

Arguing over "this person existed" or "that place existed" is bullshit.

All religions can point to real people and real places and a history of tradition. You can argue those points till the cows come home. But, if you were to literally saw a woman in half THE WOMAN WOULD DIE.

So when Christians claim virgin births, and Mo's book claim their "miracles" and the fans of these superstitions point to real places or alleged real people. I DON'T FUCKING CARE.

No one has ever sawed a woman in half outside a stage illusion. So all the theists arguments no matter what religion they peddle is the same fucking thing.

"I want to believe this crap."

If any "G/god/enity/ super natural being" existed, then all the fans of all these superstitions could blow their own brains out with a shotgun and suddenly regrow their own heads. Funny how most humans would rightfully not want to conduct that experiment.

Gods exist for one reason only, because humans prefer a comforting lie over facing reality.
Jesus likely never existed, or at least the gospel story of his birth is bullshit. If you're going to conduct a census, would it not be easier to have a few people travel around to different cities and villages (which they'd have to do anyway in order to notify the citizens of the census) to conduct the census, or have everyone travel far away to another location (when people did not often travel far) to be counted?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New way: Open Source Christianity Born in Iran. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 28 4288 September 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65326 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Genesis is not fact, there for Jesus is not necessary? FiveSpotCharlie 58 12501 March 5, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7230 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Is it possible to be "born again" without faith? naturestubbs1 11 3873 July 9, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus Confused Ape 487 221870 May 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  First there was Cheesus crust, then there was Cheetos Jesus, now theres.... libalchris 2 2567 July 2, 2012 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Baby born with anencephaly to please jesus? Erinome 129 73156 May 30, 2012 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  My 'born again' story. Theological explanation? FallentoReason 17 7778 May 11, 2012 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  Is there any proof that humans are born into sin?... dave4shmups 51 13567 February 9, 2011 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Ryft