Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any proof that humans are born into sin?...
Is there any proof that humans are born into sin?...
I don't personally think that we are, but there are a lot of Christians who point to the fact that kids have to be trained not to be selfish, as one example, that we are all born into sin. They also pour scorn onto humanism, by citing all of the wars in the 20th century as an example that humanism has failed.
RE: Is there any proof that humans are born into sin?...
Quote:I don't personally think that we are, but there are a lot of Christians who point to the fact that kids have to be trained not to be selfish,

One cannot be trained not to be selfish only to give that appearance.

As a species human beings are motivated by self interest above all other motives. There are selfless acts,many,but no selfless people.
(February 5, 2011 at 9:35 pm)dave4shmups Wrote: I don't personally think that we are, but there are a lot of Christians who point to the fact that kids have to be trained not to be selfish, as one example, that we are all born into sin.

We are all self-interested, especially as children, but this doesn't mean we don't care about anyone else, or that we're bad people. Children also spontaneously show empathy, and can recognize that certain behaviours (like hitting others) are wrong.

To say that humans are inherently good or inherently sinful is a huge oversimplification of human nature, though. It also ignores the incredible importance of upbringing and environment in shaping one's character.

The idea of original sin is just another way to control the faithful. Religion poisons us, and then tells us the only antidote is to surrender ourselves to God's will.
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
aka....the 'Cock in the frock'
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I was born with a bad attitude, does that count?
(February 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote: The idea of original sin is just another way to control the faithful. Religion poisons us, and then tells us the only antidote is to surrender ourselves to God's will.

Gods will as defined by the priests usually.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
"Original Sin" is both a vile idea and a bunch of shit.
(February 6, 2011 at 7:26 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(February 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote: The idea of original sin is just another way to control the faithful. Religion poisons us, and then tells us the only antidote is to surrender ourselves to God's will.

Gods will as defined by the priests usually.

Yes, absolutely, right out of the mouths of a bunch of dirty old men. Who are they to call us sinners?
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
(February 5, 2011 at 11:24 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote:
(February 5, 2011 at 9:35 pm)dave4shmups Wrote: I don't personally think that we are, but there are a lot of Christians who point to the fact that kids have to be trained not to be selfish, as one example, that we are all born into sin.

We are all self-interested, especially as children, but this doesn't mean we don't care about anyone else, or that we're bad people. Children also spontaneously show empathy, and can recognize that certain behaviours (like hitting others) are wrong.

To say that humans are inherently good or inherently sinful is a huge oversimplification of human nature, though. It also ignores the incredible importance of upbringing and environment in shaping one's character.

The idea of original sin is just another way to control the faithful. Religion poisons us, and then tells us the only antidote is to surrender ourselves to God's will.

Yeah, I agree-it is just another way to control the faithful.

(February 6, 2011 at 9:23 am)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: "Original Sin" is both a vile idea and a bunch of shit.

You win one internet for the pithiest response.

It was actually the question of original sin which began my path to atheism when I was 16. (it took 24 years)

I was on retreat and asked a very smart priest."Why has God punished all mankind,for all time, because of the sin of Adam and Eve?"

His answer began "God isn't punishing us---" and that's where I began to part company withe Catholic Church. Next came the question of free will and God's omniscience, followed by the problem of evil.At that stage I hadn't even thought about the veracity of the Bible,nor discovered Bertrand Russell-----

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2265 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1326 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  the nature of sin Drich 137 18403 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
  No more “lead us not into temptation” Fake Messiah 22 2484 June 15, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Are there any Christians here who believe in zombies? Jehanne 41 4854 February 1, 2019 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  A look into the mindset of an Evangelical Trumptard drfuzzy 10 1595 October 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 21102 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
  New way: Open Source Christianity Born in Iran. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 28 4321 September 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2270 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
  Are there any YECs in the house here? Jehanne 71 9584 June 28, 2018 at 1:26 pm