Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah 17
Isaiah 17
Hi Folks,

From what I hear on one of my other forums is that *some* people are pointing to Isaiah 17

Quote:A Prophecy Against Damascus

17 A prophecy against Damascus:

“See, Damascus will no longer be a city
but will become a heap of ruins.
2 The cities of Aroer will be deserted
and left to flocks, which will lie down,
with no one to make them afraid.
3 The fortified city will disappear from Ephraim,
and royal power from Damascus;
the remnant of Aram will be
like the glory of the Israelites,”
declares the Lord Almighty.
4 “In that day the glory of Jacob will fade;
the fat of his body will waste away.
5 It will be as when reapers harvest the standing grain,
gathering the grain in their arms—
as when someone gleans heads of grain
in the Valley of Rephaim.
6 Yet some gleanings will remain,
as when an olive tree is beaten,
leaving two or three olives on the topmost branches,
four or five on the fruitful boughs,”
declares the Lord, the God of Israel.
7 In that day people will look to their Maker
and turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel.
8 They will not look to the altars,
the work of their hands,
and they will have no regard for the Asherah poles[a]
and the incense altars their fingers have made.
9 In that day their strong cities, which they left because of the Israelites, will be like places abandoned to thickets and undergrowth. And all will be desolation.

10 You have forgotten God your Savior;
you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress.
Therefore, though you set out the finest plants
and plant imported vines,
11 though on the day you set them out, you make them grow,
and on the morning when you plant them, you bring them to bud,
yet the harvest will be as nothing
in the day of disease and incurable pain.
12 Woe to the many nations that rage—
they rage like the raging sea!
Woe to the peoples who roar—
they roar like the roaring of great waters!
13 Although the peoples roar like the roar of surging waters,
when he rebukes them they flee far away,
driven before the wind like chaff on the hills,
like tumbleweed before a gale.
14 In the evening, sudden terror!
Before the morning, they are gone!
This is the portion of those who loot us,
the lot of those who plunder us.

Now oddly enough I was reading about End Times prophecy when I heard about the new pope but what is more interesting is that no one has quoted Isaiah 17 before up until a few days ago.

This does seem interesting as it would appear that people are trying to make 'Scripture Fit' again.

What does everyone else think?
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
RE: Isaiah 17
I figure this is just christians playing the prophecy game on easy mode: those who predict these things way in advance are crazy, but those doing so while they're in motion or after the fact are just good christians.

Never forget the irony of the idea that the only way the bible is prophetic is if you literally use the exact opposite definition of what a prophecy is, and use the predictions after the event they supposedly predict.

If nothing else, religion is the enemy of language.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Alexander the Great conquered the city in or around 330 BC. After he died there was a lot of in fighting amongst his remaining generals, and during the time the city fell to ruins. It wasn't till Demertius III rebuilt the city renaming it demetrias that people began to live and work there again.. When the Romans came it was again conquered and rebuilt and incorporated it into a group of ten cities name decapolius. By that point Isaiah's Damascus was long gone.
(August 30, 2013 at 8:29 am)themonkeyman Wrote: What does everyone else think?

Bollocks?
I think prophecies are uttered everyday either to con people or due to a delusion. Some of them come true by sheer chance, we don't know about it because they weren't written down in a holy book. Because in this day and age we've moved passed taking prophecies seriously.
(August 30, 2013 at 8:57 am)Drich Wrote: Alexander the Great conquered the city in or around 330 BC. After he died there was a lot of in fighting amongst his remaining generals, and during the time the city fell to ruins. It wasn't till Demertius III rebuilt the city renaming it demetrias that people began to live and work there again.. When the Romans came it was again conquered and rebuilt and incorporated it into a group of ten cities name decapolius. By that point Isaiah's Damascus was long gone.

That's not what your fucking bible says, though is it?

What it says is:

"“See, Damascus will no longer be a city
but will become a heap of ruins."

And as Damascus is the oldest continually occupied city in the world it looks like your bible is a fucking pile of bullshit....again.
(August 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(August 30, 2013 at 8:57 am)Drich Wrote: Alexander the Great conquered the city in or around 330 BC. After he died there was a lot of in fighting amongst his remaining generals, and during the time the city fell to ruins. It wasn't till Demertius III rebuilt the city renaming it demetrias that people began to live and work there again.. When the Romans came it was again conquered and rebuilt and incorporated it into a group of ten cities name decapolius. By that point Isaiah's Damascus was long gone.

That's not what your fucking bible says, though is it?

What it says is:

"“See, Damascus will no longer be a city
but will become a heap of ruins."

And as Damascus is the oldest continually occupied city in the world it looks like your bible is a fucking pile of bullshit....again.

Minimalist, How can you say that - The US is about to bomb the place to the ground I would say a heap of ruins would be fitting? No?
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
(August 30, 2013 at 1:55 pm)themonkeyman Wrote: Minimalist, How can you say that - The US is about to bomb the place to the ground I would say a heap of ruins would be fitting? No?

A bit of hyperbole, perhaps? I can't recall anyone suggesting that the US is "about to bomb the place to the ground".
Oh, please. This is about Obama making a stupid remark about "red lines" and having to do something to avoid looking like a pussy.

A few cruise missiles aren't going to do much...except kill more civilians. That we will accomplish.

Yay for our side.

I give that bit of mental gymnastics, a

[Image: gymnastics-score.jpg]

I've seen better from you.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the issues with Isaiah 28.10 dyresand 31 4373 March 9, 2015 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  2kings 19-21 & Isaiah 37-40. Reptetition? Lemonvariable72 16 3704 January 15, 2014 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Help! Questions about Isaiah 43 elly 6 3113 December 8, 2011 at 3:47 am
Last Post: elly