Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Questions about Isaiah 43
Help! Questions about Isaiah 43
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, but I recently encountered a verse in the bible that has thrown me for a loop. It says in Isaiah 43 that the the earth "hangs on nothing". A christian friend is using this as proof of a divine creator. At the moment, I'm not sure how to feel about it, as how would someone know this? Does that make sense? I'm a new atheist (less than a year), so I'm still learning, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?? I can't get it out of my head. Thanks for all responses.
RE: Help! Questions about Isaiah 43
Actually I think the verse to which you refer is Job 26:7 - "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing." I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I can shed light on this, but I'd just like to mention that this verse, taken at face value, would seem to be at odds with other verses that mention the Earth resting on pillars as opposed to "nothing". Check out 1 Samuel 2:8 ("The pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them.") and even Job 9:6 ("Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.") A divine creator ought to know the difference, don't you think?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Actually I think the verse to which you refer is Job 26:7 - "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing." I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I can shed light on this, but I'd just like to mention that this verse, taken at face value, would seem to be at odds with other verses that mention the Earth resting on pillars as opposed to "nothing". Check out 1 Samuel 2:8 ("The pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them.") and even Job 9:6 ("Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.")

Whoops, sorry! I got the verse confused with the one talking about stars..thanks for the clarification.

No problem. Glad to help.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Of course....and more to the point there is this.....

[Image: creationism-51.jpg]
Elly, both Proverbs 8:22 and Isaiah 40:22 talk about the earth being a circle which imply it is flat. Also there are numerous bible verses which talk about the sky being a dome, the stars being lights fixed to that dome, the earth being supported by pillars floating in a cosmic ocean and etc.

This an article I am posting below discusses about the cosmology of the writers of the Old Testament. This cosmology has been totally refuted by scientific discoveries.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/cosmo_bibl2.htm
undefined
(December 8, 2011 at 3:39 am)Justtristo Wrote: Elly, both Proverbs 8:22 and Isaiah 40:22 talk about the earth being a circle which imply it is flat. Also there are numerous bible verses which talk about the sky being a dome, the stars being lights fixed to that dome, the earth being supported by pillars floating in a cosmic ocean and etc.

This an article I am posting below discusses about the cosmology of the writers of the Old Testament. This cosmology has been totally refuted by scientific discoveries.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/cosmo_bibl2.htm

Thanks so much! The link is very helpful!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the issues with Isaiah 28.10 dyresand 31 4540 March 9, 2015 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  2kings 19-21 & Isaiah 37-40. Reptetition? Lemonvariable72 16 3808 January 15, 2014 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Isaiah 17 themonkeyman 10 2840 August 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4