Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 12:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus had schizophrenia and paul had temporal lobe seizures
Jesus had schizophrenia and paul had temporal lobe seizures
http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/articl...ID=1476850
Check it out, they studied abraham, moses, jesus and paul.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Jesus had schizophrenia and paul had temporal lobe seizures
Applies more to the people who invented them rather than the fictional characters themselves.
Might as well apply this study to other fictional characters, such as Gandalf, who I believe was bipolar.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(September 2, 2013 at 7:25 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Might as well apply this study to other fictional characters, such as Gandalf, who I believe was bipolar.

Kind of, there is good reason to think paul was real
Signifying nothing.
(September 2, 2013 at 7:32 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(September 2, 2013 at 7:25 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Might as well apply this study to other fictional characters, such as Gandalf, who I believe was bipolar.

Kind of, there is good reason to think paul was real

Paul never existed
Quote:Kind of, there is good reason to think paul was real

What might that be?

(September 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote:
(September 2, 2013 at 7:32 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Kind of, there is good reason to think paul was real

Paul never existed

Quote:And just who was Paul escaping from? According to Paul's "own" testimony (2 Corinthians 11.32,33) it was "the governor under Aretas the king". Aretas IV was the Nabataean monarch who ruled a vast area from his capital of Petra, though Paul gives no explanation as to why Aretas was out to get him.

Oddly, though, Aretas III ruled Damascus between 84 and 64 BC. Pompey the Great overran the city and other than the jesus freak horseshit of "Paul" there is no hint that the Romans ever ceded control of that particularly valuable piece of real estate to anyone...certainly not the King of Nabatea which was a long fucking way from Damascus.

[Image: 1st-cent-palestine.jpg]

Damascus was traditionally part of the Decapolis - a collection of Greco-Roman towns which differed from their semitic-based neighbors and were granted a degree of autonomy under the governorship of Syria.
Well what do you mean by Jesus? It's kind of like the debate about whether or not Jesus was real. Lets say there was a person that Jesus was based on. However that person didn't walk on water, didn't rise from the dead, didn't do all the supernatural things that are accredited to Jesus. This is the Jesus that Bart Erhman and many Atheists, Agnostics and other secularists think existed. Is it really fair to even say that person was Jesus? They share so few characteristics with the supernatural God/Man of the bible that even if such person existed it's impossible to call that they were the same person described in the bible. That's why the debate about whether or not Jesus existed is irrelevant.

I think all the same can be said about your hypothetical schizophrenic Jesus (which is a sketchy diagnosis even today, much less to give to someone that we have no primary sources about.) If such a person existed (and I don't think you've sufficiently made the case) then they don't resemble the character represented in the bible enough to be called Jesus.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(September 3, 2013 at 12:10 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: Well what do you mean by Jesus? It's kind of like the debate about whether or not Jesus was real. Lets say there was a person that Jesus was based on. However that person didn't walk on water, didn't rise from the dead, didn't do all the supernatural things that are accredited to Jesus. This is the Jesus that Bart Erhman and many Atheists, Agnostics and other secularists think existed. Is it really fair to even say that person was Jesus? They share so few characteristics with the supernatural God/Man of the bible that even if such person existed it's impossible to call that they were the same person described in the bible. That's why the debate about whether or not Jesus existed is irrelevant.

I think all the same can be said about your hypothetical schizophrenic Jesus (which is a sketchy diagnosis even today, much less to give to someone that we have no primary sources about.) If such a person existed (and I don't think you've sufficiently made the case) then they don't resemble the character represented in the bible enough to be called Jesus.

Scholars who publish on the topic tend to differentiate between 'the historic Jesus' and 'the Jesus of the Gospels', the former being a 1st century rabbi who caused a packet of local trouble and the latter being the water-walking, fig-cursing, leper healing divine. I find that it equates to the historic Arthur of Britain and the Romantic Arthur.

In both cases, it makes some sense to assume a historic figure (the rabbi and the warlord who went round bashing Saxons) who grew into the legendary figure (the son of God and the King of chivalry).

But I take your point. When people hear 'Jesus', then tend to think exclusively about the the Saviour born in a manger, the apostles and all the rest.

Maybe we should refer to the historic one as Jebus, to avoid confusion. Smile

But on the original topic, I tend to agree with the notion that the author of Revelation suffered from ergot poisoning.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 3, 2013 at 12:10 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: Well what do you mean by Jesus? It's kind of like the debate about whether or not Jesus was real. Lets say there was a person that Jesus was based on. However that person didn't walk on water, didn't rise from the dead, didn't do all the supernatural things that are accredited to Jesus. This is the Jesus that Bart Erhman and many Atheists, Agnostics and other secularists think existed. Is it really fair to even say that person was Jesus? They share so few characteristics with the supernatural God/Man of the bible that even if such person existed it's impossible to call that they were the same person described in the bible. That's why the debate about whether or not Jesus existed is irrelevant.

Scholars who publish on the topic tend to differentiate between 'the historic Jesus' and 'the Jesus of the Gospels', the former being a 1st century rabbi who caused a packet of local trouble and the latter being the water-walking, fig-cursing, leper healing divine. I find that it equates to the historic Arthur of Britain and the Romantic Arthur.

In both cases, it makes some sense to assume a historic figure (the rabbi and the warlord who went round bashing Saxons) who grew into the legendary figure (the son of God and the King of chivalry).

But I take your point. When people hear 'Jesus', then tend to think exclusively about the the Saviour born in a manger, the apostles and all the rest.

Maybe we should refer to the historic one as Jebus, to avoid confusion. Smile

But on the original topic, I tend to agree with the notion that the author of Revelation suffered from ergot poisoning.

Boru
I do agree with the shakiness of the diagnosis given his questionable exsistance. However the idea of a historical jesus suffering from mental illness is not all that far fetched. Even today there are people that are deluded in thinking they are the son of god and they attain following despite the obvouis signs of mental instability. Imagine how much easier it would be in the desperate and ignorant and desperately religious first century palestine.
Signifying nothing.
(September 3, 2013 at 9:07 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Imagine how much easier it would be in the desperate and ignorant and desperately religious first century palestine.

I would contend this point that the people in Palestine during the first century CE were desperate for religion. In fact, it wasn't for another 4 centuries that the Roman Empire force-fed Christianity to the masses, with other empires down the road doing the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saluting all the good and great theists we have had on this site. Whateverist 103 16860 November 6, 2015 at 7:14 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? tantric 110 18180 January 22, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Schizophrenia JaceDeanLove 10 1581 November 22, 2014 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Tombochan
  Temporal Atheism.... Mystic 9 3213 April 3, 2013 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Anyone ever heard of Paul Vitz? orogenicman 11 3580 July 3, 2012 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  If you had a button that would turn all theists into atheists and agnostic? KillYourself 35 11969 November 17, 2011 at 10:27 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  [split] Hitler had ulterior motives and really wasn't a Christian after all twocompulsive 44 16767 June 28, 2011 at 11:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger