Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever heard of Paul Vitz?
Anyone ever heard of Paul Vitz?
He is a tenured psychologist at New York University. He claims that people become atheists because they were raised fatherless. I bring this up because I've been in a running debate (if you can call it that) with a venomous theist who has bought into this nonsense, and not only makes this same argument, but argues that atheists are mentally ill. He cites a study done that claims that atheists are autistic. I pointed out that what the study actually says is that a significant number of those with autistic disorders don't believe in god is not the same as all atheists being autistic. Of course, he's convinced that the contrary is true and insists that this study validates his bigoted belief. It's just sad, really. The real question in my mind is how New York University has managed to lower their standards to the extent that they gave this Vitz guy tenure.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Anyone ever heard of Paul Vitz?
I just looked him up. Reading now.
Trying to update my sig ...
I remember reading about this a while ago. Obviously it wasn't very interesting at the time since I don't remember anything else about it. Have there been any studies done regarding it? Seems a little narrow to peg the cause as solely on being fatherless. What about motherless? Orphaned? I'd be interested to see the results.
Quote:He claims that people become atheists because they were raised fatherless.

I am an atheist and my dad just passed away at 93.

I'd say this guy is an idiot.
My dad's still kicking. Seventy-nine and cantankerous as ever. I think the fact that he's Catholic has more to do with my discovery of atheism than his supposed non-existence.
Trying to update my sig ...
Was raised WITH my Dad in attendance (not an absent father figure)

[Image: 598490_409533039085668_687670568_n.jpg]

I would recommend this graphic for your rabid theist. Link
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Tenure isn't generally given based on a person's belief, or even one one particular area of their research. It is given on their research in general, and in Vitz's case, he has published a load of papers and books on varying subjects in Psychology. He certainly deserves tenure, despite what he might believe.
(July 3, 2012 at 10:11 am)Tiberius Wrote: Tenure isn't generally given based on a person's belief, or even one one particular area of their research. It is given on their research in general, and in Vitz's case, he has published a load of papers and books on varying subjects in Psychology. He certainly deserves tenure, despite what he might believe.

I'm not talking about his personal beliefs. He is teaching that atheists are the way they are because of fatherlessness. And he cites his own so-called research when he makes the claim. He has written at least one book on it, and goes on religious lecture tours promoting this nonsense. He is promoting it as a scientific fact. And the religious right is eating it up. He promotes atheism as a form of mental illness.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
it sounds like he's more or less *allowed* to have opinions like that by the very nature of him attaining tenure. given his freedom (as stated below), removing him from that post is also going to be extremely unlikely for both the school or the courts. a shame it is.

Quote:Academic tenure is primarily intended to guarantee the right to academic freedom: it protects teachers and researchers when they dissent from prevailing opinion, openly disagree with authorities of any sort, or spend time on unfashionable topics.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
How many fatherless theists are there I wonder?

Anyhoo my dad has always been there and I am an atheist.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 11543 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5447 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Has anyone heard this before? Socratic Meth Head 13 3162 March 30, 2016 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard? FebruaryOfReason 458 52985 February 27, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Your Craziest Religious Belief/Craziest Belief You've Ever Heard of Salacious B. Crumb 17 5675 May 18, 2015 at 8:21 am
Last Post: The Inquisition
  The dumbest fucking arguments you've ever heard. Creed of Heresy 111 29562 March 24, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Anyone ever spent time at a bible camp? DeadChannel 21 3378 January 11, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Anyone else ever think like this? Jextin 10 2425 December 31, 2014 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Atheist YouTube channel you may not have heard of Sejanus 2 1353 June 9, 2014 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  The worst I've heard out of Ray Comfort Lemonvariable72 18 6469 January 24, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: truthBtold