Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality
Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality
I watched a matt dillahunty piece on secular moral philiosophy and its superiority and I wondering if anyone can show me how reliious morality is superior
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality
(September 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I watched a matt dillahunty piece on secular moral philiosophy and its superiority and I wondering if anyone can show me how reliious morality is superior

How do you determine 'superiority' of one morality over the other without presuming a particular moral principle to begin with?
RE: Can anyone give me a example of how religous moral is superior to secular morality
(September 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm)genkaus Wrote:
(September 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I watched a matt dillahunty piece on secular moral philiosophy and its superiority and I wondering if anyone can show me how reliious morality is superior

How do you determine 'superiority' of one morality over the other without presuming a particular moral principle to begin with?

I was gonna say that (basically). Sad
I think the morality of a person is based on the emotional motivation associated with their convictions. I don't think there's much about atheism that induces especially strong emotional motivations, but it's obvious that religion is capable of doing that. So I'd say the most moral people in existence are likely so because of their religious ideas.

However, I think on average, atheists have one less layer of justification to skew in their favor when they are going to do something that's obviously wrong. So I wouldn't give the point to religion overall-- only to those rare specimens.
(September 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm)genkaus Wrote:

Indeed, it would be immoral of me to follow a system of morality that is not superior to all others. Since I am an atheist, atheist morality must therefore be superior to all others.
I'm not convinced that the system of morality is all that important. My secular moral position instructs me not to steal things, not to murder people, and not to cheat on my wife. The fact that these are all also part of Judeo-Christian morality doesn't trouble me in the least.

Put another way, although I believe moral behaviour to have evolved along with human beings, I'm not going to commit an immoral behaviour simply because it happens to be written down in some fatuous book cobbled together by a lot of semi-barbaric tribesmen.

That being said, I'm something of a fan of situational ethics. In another thread, I mentioned stealing food to feed a hungry child. We're I forced into such a positionn by circumstance, I would commit the theft without a backward glance. Similarly, although I value human life, I value some more than others and I honestly don't think I would hesitate to kill to protect someone I loved.

On the third point mentioned above, cheating on my wife is right out, since she once told me that if she ever caught me at it, she'd kill me in my sleep. Self-preservation trumps morality, every time. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 6, 2013 at 6:38 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I think the morality of a person is based on the emotional motivation associated with their convictions. I don't think there's much about atheism that induces especially strong emotional motivations, but it's obvious that religion is capable of doing that. So I'd say the most moral people in existence are likely so because of their religious ideas.

However, I think on average, atheists have one less layer of justification to skew in their favor when they are going to do something that's obviously wrong. So I wouldn't give the point to religion overall-- only to those rare specimens.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that superiority of morality is determined by the strength of emotional motivations related to one's convictions or is it determined by the validity of those conviction? Ot are you saying something else altogether.
Most morality it appears to me, is based upon empathy. I can imagine the hurt to the victim of my immoral act and that seems to stop me.

I guess its why people that do not steal from others have less problem fiddling an insurance claim and the like. It harder to empathise with an organisation that with another individual or group of individuals.

I can't think of a single moral position for a religious person that is better, per-say, than that of an atheist - although I think the reverse is fairly easy to argue. Religious people constantly argue that it is the fear of God that keeps them in line. An atheist acts morally simply because it is the right thing to do. In fact many theists try to argue that atheists don't believe do they don't have to face the after-life repercussions of their actions.

Further, the tendency of religious people to ascribe anything that is good about them to God and anything bad to the devil appears to me to be a moral cop-out of the highest order.

All part and parcel of the loathsome features of religion that believers don't even see.....
(September 6, 2013 at 9:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm not convinced that the system of morality is all that important. My secular moral position instructs me not to steal things, not to murder people, and not to cheat on my wife. The fact that these are all also part of Judeo-Christian morality doesn't trouble me in the least.

Put another way, although I believe moral behaviour to have evolved along with human beings, I'm not going to commit an immoral behaviour simply because it happens to be written down in some fatuous book cobbled together by a lot of semi-barbaric tribesmen.

That being said, I'm something of a fan of situational ethics. In another thread, I mentioned stealing food to feed a hungry child. We're I forced into such a positionn by circumstance, I would commit the theft without a backward glance. Similarly, although I value human life, I value some more than others and I honestly don't think I would hesitate to kill to protect someone I loved.

On the third point mentioned above, cheating on my wife is right out, since she once told me that if she ever caught me at it, she'd kill me in my sleep. Self-preservation trumps morality, every time. Smile

Boru

So, would you consider a morality where self-preservation is the standard for moral behavior to be superior? If yes, then the justification for this would be?

(September 7, 2013 at 3:51 am)max-greece Wrote: Most morality it appears to me, is based upon empathy. I can imagine the hurt to the victim of my immoral act and that seems to stop me.

I guess its why people that do not steal from others have less problem fiddling an insurance claim and the like. It harder to empathise with an organisation that with another individual or group of individuals.

I can't think of a single moral position for a religious person that is better, per-say, than that of an atheist - although I think the reverse is fairly easy to argue. Religious people constantly argue that it is the fear of God that keeps them in line. An atheist acts morally simply because it is the right thing to do. In fact many theists try to argue that atheists don't believe do they don't have to face the after-life repercussions of their actions.

Further, the tendency of religious people to ascribe anything that is good about them to God and anything bad to the devil appears to me to be a moral cop-out of the highest order.

All part and parcel of the loathsome features of religion that believers don't even see.....

This seems to be the most common moral principle presumed when considering morality - that it is based on empathy.
The difference is that the origin of human morality is the Holy Bible, from where, different groups took their own version of morality and branded it as their own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1831 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 12970 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6695 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6693 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3132 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1054 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3713 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4651 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5397 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3217 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer