Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stoning the Adulterer is Effective Because?
Stoning the Adulterer is Effective Because?
Here is one particularly depressing hadith found in Sahih al-Bukhari, or the Authentic collection of Sayings of Muhammad by Bukhari.

Sahih al-Bukhari Book 017, Number 4206:
'Abdullah b. Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Ma'iz b. Malik al-Aslami came to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Allah's Messenger, I have wronged myself; I have committed adultery and I earnestly desire that you should purify me. He turned him away. On the following day, he (Ma'iz) again came to him and said: Allah's Messenger, I have committed adultery. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) turned him away for the second time, and sent him to his people saying: Do you know if there is anything wrong with his mind. They denied of any such thing in him and said: We do not know him but as a wise good man among us, so far as we can judge. He (Ma'iz) came for the third time, and he (the Holy Prophet) sent him as he had done before. He asked about him and they informed him that there was nothing wrong with him or with his mind. When it was the fourth time, a ditch was dug for him and he (the Holy Prophet) pronounced judg- ment about him and he wis stoned. He (the narrator) said: There came to him (the Holy Prophet) a woman from Ghamid and said: Allah's Messenger, I have committed adultery, so purify me. He (the Holy Prophet) turned her away. On the following day she said: Allah's Messenger, Why do you turn me away? Perhaps, you turn me away as you turned away Ma'iz. By Allah, I have become pregnant. He said: Well, if you insist upon it, then go away until you give birth to (the child). When she was delivered she came with the child (wrapped) in a rag and said: Here is the child whom I have given birth to. He said: Go away and suckle him until you wean him. When she had weaned him, she came to him (the Holy Prophet) with the child who was holding a piece of bread in his hand. She said: Allah's Apostle, here is he as I have weaned him and he eats food. He (the Holy Prophet) entrusted the child to one of the Muslims and then pronounced punishment. And she was put in a ditch up to her chest and he commanded people and they stoned her. Khalid b Walid came forward with a stone which he flung at her head and there spurted blood on the face of Khalid and so he abused her. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) heard his (Khalid's) curse that he had huried upon her. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Khalid, be gentle. By Him in Whose Hand is my life, she has made such a repentance that even if a wrongful tax-collector were to repent, he would have been forgiven. Then giving command regarding her, he prayed over her and she was buried.

Aw how merciful of Muhammad to give her many chances to not be stoned, only to let her be stoned when her child needs her the most.

Hopefully that kid grew up rationally and helped fight against the oppression that came to follow when Abu Bakr became Caliph and slaughtered everyone who opposed him.

Absolutely absurd.

The entire premise in Islam is that stoning adulterers will help prevent adultery.

Well the year is now 2013 and potentially hundreds of thousands of people have been stoned since the Abrahamic faith instituted this ridiculous punishment for adultery, and there are still adulterers.

I guess god in his infinite wisdom and omniscience figured this was better than telling us about AIDS and herpes and all of that which would've been a much better deterrent from adultery for centuries than stoning people to death.

So the stoning of the adulterer has not been effective at all. In Saudi Arabia, they practice Misyar, in Iran they practice Muta'ah, people have sex because that is what people do. They don't always marry permanently. Muslims molest children, boys and girls alike, they don't get stoned because there aren't 4 witnesses.

Stoning is quite simply an ineffective deterrent which may have worked for primitive Arabs in the 7th century, but is clearly the invention of a narrow-minded man rather than an omniscient god who knew about diseases that would be prevalent in the future.

The Qur'an is clearly not written by a god who knew the future, rather a man who followed the Jews of the past, who was an Arab surrounded by pagans, who thought god's wrath was worse upon polytheists than upon uneducated murderers and rapists.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius
RE: Stoning the Adulterer is Effective Because?
Perhaps its just a steaming pile of bullshit, like the bible, but don't expect the religionists to take my word for it.
This joke is probably out of place, but I'm going to tell it all the same.

Jesus is defending 'the woman taken in adultery', and tells the crowd, 'He among you that is without sin, let him cast the first stone.'

Silence falls and the embarassed crowd begins to break up and wander off, when a rocks zooms in and beans the adulteresss on the conk.

Jesus sighs and says, 'Mom, you're not making this job any easier.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Stoning the Adulterer is Effective Because?

They don't do it again?
100% of dead people do not commit adultery.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 14, 2013 at 7:35 pm)AtheistCreed Wrote: The entire premise in Islam is that stoning adulterers will help prevent adultery.

It will certainly prevent a second incident of it.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
To be honest, Muslims understand from this story that Muhammed gave both of the adulterers the chance not to come back again to be punished but both of them insisted. (Maybe being put in a ditch then stoned seemed interesting somehow to them)

Anyway don't ask about the effectiveness of religious legislation because it is, originally, aimless.
* Illusion is a big world ... and the world is a bigger illusion.
* Try to live happy ... try to make others live happy.
(September 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm)Simsim Wrote: To be honest, Muslims understand from this story that Muhammed gave both of the adulterers the chance not to come back again to be punished but both of them insisted. (Maybe being put in a ditch then stoned seemed interesting somehow to them)

Anyway don't ask about the effectiveness of religious legislation because it is, originally, aimless.

Yes, I'm aware of what Muslims say about this particular hadith.

But the fact that she still got stoned after giving birth is disgusting. Muhammad didn't try hard enough to help her or any of the other victims of his ridiculous laws.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius
Quote:The entire premise in Islam is that stoning adulterers will help prevent adultery.

To be fair, lots of xtian idiots in this country think that executing murderers prevents murder.

The facts do not back that up.
(September 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The entire premise in Islam is that stoning adulterers will help prevent adultery.

To be fair, lots of xtian idiots in this country think that executing murderers prevents murder.

The facts do not back that up.

I sense a can of worms! Big Grin

Do you think that murderers should be kept in prisons?
For the most part.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muslim thinks that suffering happens to muslims because Allah is testing their faith comediaN 20 5397 November 26, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Germany - School bans miniskirts because "religion" and "culture" Dystopia 93 15422 July 5, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Atheists: Islam = not peaceful because... Muslims: *Obfuscation and equivocation* Mudhammam 0 1367 March 2, 2014 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Women aren't allowed to wear nail polish because it violated the wuḍū Ziploc Surprise 6 2321 March 11, 2013 at 4:48 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Muslim scientist says world is flat and the sun revolves around the earth because Quran says so. Gooders1002 14 6490 December 8, 2012 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Forsaken
  Muslim Barbarians Prepare For Another Stoning Minimalist 3 2241 July 8, 2010 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Scented Nectar