Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conversations
Conversations
I have a question. It involves a specific practice in conversation. Eye contact. When You are speaking to someone, You might be staring them in the face during the entire conversation. This can be considered a norm and a peripheral of etiquette. My question to You is this:

Is eye contact necessary for holding a conversation? Is it despicable to refrain from eye contact?

The reason I ask this is because I recently went to the doctors and was confirmed for social anxiety disorder. When I am around people I am not used to, like "strangers", I am still friendly but I get nervous from reading their body language and extrapolating what I analyze (an eyebrow squint = you liar). I am completely honest but I am so desensitized to people wanting trust to be earned rather than granted that I feel like people sometimes do not trust me. When I get nervous in front of strangers, my conversational skills fall while I feel like shit about myself. Then I "think" I am making the conversation uncomfortable, which is true. But I can relate all of this back to the basis of my visual information reading. If I hold a conversation with my eyes closed, I can remain calm while avoiding the crippling of the remaining conversation. Now, time and again I can hold eye contact for moments of confirmation and laughter and such, but for extended durations it does claw on me.

I mean, chats are primarily vocal events, yes? So if I cut out sight on occasion it should not make a difference, would it?
RE: Conversations
(September 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm)Walking Void Wrote: I mean, chats are primarily vocal events, yes? So if I cut out sight on occasion it should not make a difference, would it?

Communication is so much more, body language might be vital for understanding. That being said, I can relate to not wanting to look strangers in the eye, which is a real handicap working in customer service. I'm working on it, I try to look into the customers' eyes when I greet them and when I hand them their receipt and change. Though at times, I find myself staring at people's necklaces, tattoos and unfortunately, by accident, boobs.. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 19, 2013 at 3:28 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: (...) by accident, boobs.. Tongue

I find myself having many such accidents....
Sometimes I look people in the face, and metaphorically see this:

[Image: im-going-to-kill-you-in-your-sleep.jpg]
It depends on the context of the conversation. If you're talking to your boss, eye contact is necessary to indicate you are paying attention. With a stranger, it's not really that important. If I am uncomfortable maintaining eye contact, I usually make sure I establish eye contact early and then look away. If the conversation lingers, I will make brief eye contact occasionally to show that I am still invested.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I actually get peeved when a dude maintains eye contact with me. I don't know if this is an instance of social anxiety, or just an aggresive animal response. So yeah, to avoid confrontations, i tend to avoid eye contact too.

Boobs aren't an issue, unless it's a guy's rack.
I'm not a fan of looking people in the eye. Just weird's me out. I either look near their eyes so they can't tell the difference or just look around. Most people just realise I'm a bit odd and just go with it.
My younger brother is autistic. He could never meet your stare and would often converse whilst looking anywhere and everywhere but at you.

Whilst it is still a huge problem he has improved immensely by learning to focus on people's noses. As long as he is more than 2 feet away it is impossible to tell he is doing this (as an Autistic person he is always more than 2 feet away).

He used to practise in the mirror and whilst talking to the family.

Might help.
I interpret someone looking me in the eyes as challenging my authority with the females and I get aggressive and attack.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I wouldn't say its necessary, but it definitely helps. I used to be really insecure about myself around other people and avoided eye contact if I could. In most situations I would have been fine, but eye contact helps when your trying to sell people stuff so I had to learn. Turn it into a big game of chicken. Keep eye contact until the other person shifts their gaze.

Also, I couldn't help but notice how much eye contact worked when it came to talking to women.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conversations with the big guy Angrboda 18 1481 December 2, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused