Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did ancient egypt have crucifiction?
Did ancient egypt have crucifiction?
Because it says so in the quran for some reason?

Quran 7:124
I will surely cut off your hands and your feet on opposite sides; then I will surely crucify you all."
RE: Did ancient egypt have crucifiction?
Crucifixtion use to be more wide spread than you think.

Even in medieval Japan, although to be fair, it was only used there for christians for the purpose of mocking them.
It was infact a slow gruesome way to die. The Romans used it because it was a good way to instill fear in the populace, they could 'post' them in the via apia as a warning to all that dared to defy the empire. Yet, alot of christians carry a miniature of a torturing device in their necks. Nothing is the hallmark of 'love' like a torture device from 2000 years ago strapped to their necks. The irony of this all.
If Jesus had lived in the 20th century, in a couple thousand years his followers would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
We know ancient Phoenicians practiced crucifixion. Phoenicians were highly influential traders throughout Mediterranean basin and whose influences were extensively felt in Egypt from 1200 BC onwards. So certainly Egyptians would be well acquainted with crucifixion.

In fact, it seem probable the roman custom of crucifixion had its ultimate origin in the Phoenicians, by way of the Etruscans as intermediaries, who were also extensive seafarers and traders in contact with Phoenicians and who also practiced crucifixion.

(September 24, 2013 at 8:21 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: If Jesus had lived in the 20th century, in a couple thousand years his followers would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks.

This is part of the reason why Christianity is unusually false and grotesque even among its peers in the disgusting cesspool of cults and religions.
Crucifixion seems to have developed in the ANE. The Phoenicians spread it to the Carthaginians who taught it to the Romans. I cannot think of a single example of a crucifixion being depicted in ancient egyptian reliefs although there are multiple examples of bound prisoners being killed by the pharaoh swinging a mace.

Why would you put any stock in the scribblings of a book written so long after Egyptian culture collapsed under the weight of repeated conquerors? For that matter, what is there in that particular verse that suggests anything to do with Egypt at all?
(September 24, 2013 at 11:52 am)Minimalist Wrote: Crucifixion seems to have developed in the ANE. The Phoenicians spread it to the Carthaginians who taught it to the Romans. I cannot think of a single example of a crucifixion being depicted in ancient egyptian reliefs although there are multiple examples of bound prisoners being killed by the pharaoh swinging a mace.

Why would you put any stock in the scribblings of a book written so long after Egyptian culture collapsed under the weight of repeated conquerors? For that matter, what is there in that particular verse that suggests anything to do with Egypt at all?

What has to do with Egypt?.
Here is an earlier verse to prove it.

Quran 7:123 Said Pharaoh, "You believed in him before I gave you permission. Indeed, this is a conspiracy which you conspired in the city to expel therefrom its people. But you are going to know.

Oh i don't put any stock into it, i was wondering if they had crucifiction in the ancient Egypt, because i was suspicious if they truly had it, or if it was wrong Smile
Assyria conquered Egypt in the early 7th century BC and the Persians conquered it in the late 6th BC so certainly by then....coincidentally getting close to the time that this bible bullshit was written....the idea of crucifixion may have been known in Egypt. But at the period of history which the OT pretends to describe (New Kingdom....in some cases Middle Kingdom if the fuckers get desperate enough) we have this sort of relief of Seti I dispatching prisoners in the time-honored Egyptian method.

[Image: seti-1-crushing.jpg]

So, no. I wouldn't put too much stock in anything written in the koran or any of the other ancient shit from which it was derived.
(September 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm)Moira Wrote:
(September 24, 2013 at 11:52 am)Minimalist Wrote: Crucifixion seems to have developed in the ANE. The Phoenicians spread it to the Carthaginians who taught it to the Romans. I cannot think of a single example of a crucifixion being depicted in ancient egyptian reliefs although there are multiple examples of bound prisoners being killed by the pharaoh swinging a mace.

What has to do with Egypt?.
Here is an earlier verse to prove it.

Quran 7:123 Said Pharaoh, "You believed in him before I gave you permission. Indeed, this is a conspiracy which you conspired in the city to expel therefrom its people. But you are going to know.

Oh i don't put any stock into it, i was wondering if they had crucifiction in the ancient Egypt, because i was suspicious if they truly had it, or if it was wrong Smile

The Quran is full of anachronisms and tall tales. I am unaware of any signs of crucifiction in ancient Egypt until Rome conquered Egypt. The Babylonians and Assyrians favored impalement as a gory and painful manner of execution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_pun...yptCapital punishment in Egypt can be traced back to the ancient Egyptian civilization, where the death penalty was carried out against those who broke the Ma'at, a law which forbade crimes such as murder, theft, sacrilege, attempts on the life of the Pharaoh, and spying. Methods of execution included beheading, sacrifice, and drowning in the Nile in a closed sack.
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
(September 24, 2013 at 7:35 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Crucifixtion use to be more wide spread than you think.

Even in medieval Japan, although to be fair, it was only used there for christians for the purpose of mocking them.
I'm glad to see that atheists are no longer trying to claim that crucifixion never happened!

There were actually many different methods of crucifixion, and the way in which it was used by the Romans at the time of Christ was to nail the feet together (one nail through both feet), and nail the wrists as well with the arms folded over the crossbeam. There was also a piece of wood for a "seat" that the executed person would have to push up on their legs to use. They also used rope in place of nails (although I'm not exactly sure how of if it would work for the feet, but it would certainly work fine for the arms), or also possibly in addition to nails.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Egypt president calls for "religious revolution" mralstoner 11 1574 January 9, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  More nuttery from Egypt Justtristo 14 4963 January 9, 2012 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Koldaramor