Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 9:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is gnostic atheism ironic?
Is gnostic atheism ironic?
I haven't made a topic in a while, so I may as well post this up.

I idenfity as an agnostic atheist (and a Dudeist on the side), if you did not know, which means I don't believe in God but I'm not 100% certain that I'm right about that. Which, to me, is the most logical position to take on the subject. Many debates I see on this site and in real life between theists and atheists is, "Theist, how can you be so sure about your belief? How do you know you're right?" Yet, sometimes this argument comes from a gnostic atheist or an atheist that claims to be 100% sure about their atheism.

I don't understand that. How can you be 100% knowledgable that there's no God? It makes as much sense as being 100% knowledgable that there is one. You can't know. That's why I think gnostic atheism is just ironic. Fighting against the illogcal position of complete knowledge of a god while claiming to have complete knowledge that there isn't one. It doesn't make sense to me.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Is gnostic atheism ironic?
Ditto, absolute certainty is not something I subscribe to. Just because I'm psychologically convinced that something is true/bullshit or am logically certain doesn't mean I acknowledge such to be a certainty in epistemological terms. There is always room for error, no matter how ridiculously large or small that margin may be.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
Being gnostic of anything that isn't only and event in the past is irrational. "I know this was the case because I witnessed/experienced it to be so" is rational. "I know this will be the case because I witnessed/experienced it to be so before" is irrational. To claim the latter is to also claim that you 'know' the universe is unchanging.
(October 1, 2013 at 5:20 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: How can you be 100% knowledgable that there's no God?

I am not one hundred percent knowledgeable that unicorns do not exist, but I am not going to take the illogical fence sitting position that there may be a possibility that unicorns do exist.

Just as I know that unicorns do not exist, I can state with the same certainty that I know god does not exist.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I am not one hundred percent knowledgeable that unicorns do not exist

Quote:Just as I know that unicorns do not exist, I can state with the same certainty that I know god does not exist.
But that certainty isn't 100%, thus you don't know.

'Know'

1. Be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.
2. Have knowledge or information concerning.

You can have a level of certainty that any given god claim is false, and that level of certainty can be high, but you can't know.

Personally, my level of certainty that any given god claim is false is about to the point where I wouldn't give any more concern to a god claim (separate from anything else that goes along with that claim) than I would to the claim that they left the toilet seat up.
Semantics aside, I know god does not exist.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:which means I don't believe in God but I'm not 100% certain that I'm right about that.

Really? I don't believe in God, and I'm 100% certain that I'm right that I don't believe in God.

Quote:But that certainty isn't 100%, thus you don't know.

Actually, you can know something with 100% certainty. For instance, I know, with no possibility that I am wrong, that there are no married bachelors.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not sure why people keep trying to equate "Atheism" with certainty. Atheism is not a positive disbelief in a god, it is the absence of belief... the lack of belief.

You only undermine your ability to defend yourself as an atheist when you commit to any positive beliefs about things that don't exist. It's just as impossible to claim positive disbelief in something as it is positive belief.

Atheist: "How do you know god exists?"
Theist: "How do you know god doesn't exist?"

Both fail.

These classification of "gnostic atheist" vs "agnostic atheist" vs "positive atheist" break down because you're over complicating the issue.

Your beliefs about knowledge are independent of your beliefs (or lack of beliefs) about god(s).
I can't be 100% sure that no gods exist, but it's fairly obvious that all gods were invented by man, just like all other mythical creatures and fairy tales, so I can be quite comfortable in my belief that there are no gods. Even Christians believe that all other gods besides Yahweh were made up by man, but for some reason Yahweh gets a pass and special pleading.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 1, 2013 at 5:20 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I haven't made a topic in a while, so I may as well post this up.

I idenfity as an agnostic atheist (and a Dudeist on the side), if you did not know, which means I don't believe in God but I'm not 100% certain that I'm right about that. Which, to me, is the most logical position to take on the subject. Many debates I see on this site and in real life between theists and atheists is, "Theist, how can you be so sure about your belief? How do you know you're right?" Yet, sometimes this argument comes from a gnostic atheist or an atheist that claims to be 100% sure about their atheism.

I don't understand that. How can you be 100% knowledgable that there's no God? It makes as much sense as being 100% knowledgable that there is one. You can't know. That's why I think gnostic atheism is just ironic. Fighting against the illogcal position of complete knowledge of a god while claiming to have complete knowledge that there isn't one. It doesn't make sense to me.

I agree. I'll go a step further, and I think the definition should be expanded to mean...'but I don't really need to know one way or the other.'

If there exists a god or not, I no longer have a burning desire to know.

The truth is, no one knows for sure, one way or the other. Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27204 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12538 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  My Argument for "Gnostic Atheism" - Anyone Else? onebluethinker 7 4197 October 17, 2014 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Hey Gnostic Atheist - prove your point answer-is-42 26 7038 September 18, 2014 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The ironic end of chrisitianity robvalue 37 4118 September 16, 2014 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12173 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  For Gnostic Atheists and Apatheists Dystopia 7 2177 July 7, 2014 at 2:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Gnostic Atheism? WTF? JimmyNeutron 71 14767 June 13, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10515 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Why I am a Gnostic Atheist Faith Is Glorified Delusion 28 10926 May 15, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger