Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gnostic Atheism? WTF?
Gnostic Atheism? WTF?
I heard someone say the other day that they were a "Gnostic Atheist." To start with, I didn't know that there was such a thing, because that is completely illogical. He went on to say that "I'm a gnostic atheist because I know for sure that there is no god." This form of belief defies all logic, and here's why: It is impossible to prove a negative. This is a well known logical principle. Therefore, you cannot be logically sure that there is no god. That would be completely absurd.

The same thing applies to belief in a god, it is currently impossible to prove. However, a complete assurance in the non-existence of a god or gods (AKA Gnostic Atheism) is more illogical than the complete assurance in the existence of a god or gods (AKA Gnostic Theism, is guess) because, while it is currently impossible to prove either of them, it will NEVER be possible to prove the non-existence of a god. There is still a chance that we will one day find proof of the existence of a higher power. There will never be proof that such a power cannot possibly exist.

So from where does this notion of Gnostic Atheism come? Is this a widely held belief? Why do people believe it at all?
RE: Gnostic Atheism? WTF?
(June 9, 2014 at 7:47 pm)JimmyNeutron Wrote: So from where does this notion of Gnostic Atheism come? Is this a widely held belief? Why do people believe it at all?

I've never met one. I'm surprised that one exists.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I've met a few who make the positive assertion of the non-existence of god(s). They strike me as being as evangelical as the faithful.

Most atheists I've met are the agnostic variety. I am myself in that group.

Personally, I find gnostic atheism to be as much of an overreach as gnostic theism.

I suppose it depends on one's epistemological standards. I don't think either camp has reached that bar.
I agree with those guys ^^^

Also, OP, why are you capitalizing words that shouldn't be capitalized?
(June 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I agree with those guys ^^^

I don't know what you mean. I capitalized AKA because it's an abbreviation. I capitalized NEVER because I wish to lend emphasis. Guess I should have used italics or something.
Meh. Technically I agree with you. However I can state that I know there is no bigfoot. I know that are no pink aliens in my butt. I don't know why you get so bent out of shape when it comes to God.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
There are gnostics in both cams, though I would say there's a higher percentage of theists who claim there is a god then there are atheists that claim there isn't.

Neither claim yet satisfies the burden of proof. One day we may find conclusive proof that there is a superior being (not the christer gawd though). We may also discover enough about the universe to confidently claim there are none. Before you go on about proving a negative, unless you remain agnostic about dragons, leprechauns, fairies, elves, big foot, the Loch Ness monster, unicorns, etc... then you cannot claim there will never be enough evidence to dismiss god claims as absurd.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 9, 2014 at 9:48 pm)JimmyNeutron Wrote:
(June 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I agree with those guys ^^^

I don't know what you mean. I capitalized AKA because it's an abbreviation. I capitalized NEVER because I wish to lend emphasis. Guess I should have used italics or something.

I mean none of the words "gnostic', "agnostic", "atheist", theist" should be capitalized. In the title, it's fine because it's a title. Other than that, none of those are proper nouns... especially the adjectives Confused Fall
Gnostic atheism is not a logically defensible position. But, like CapnAwesome said, I would have to stick to that line of reasoning about the invisible dyslexic left-handed rhinoceros that is in my closet as well. I am just as sure that thing doesn't exist as I am about any god(s). But I cannot prove either doesn't exist.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27130 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Doctrine of atheism WTF? TheoneandonlytrueGod 18 3525 November 23, 2015 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12479 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  My Argument for "Gnostic Atheism" - Anyone Else? onebluethinker 7 4179 October 17, 2014 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Hey Gnostic Atheist - prove your point answer-is-42 26 7022 September 18, 2014 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12152 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  For Gnostic Atheists and Apatheists Dystopia 7 2158 July 7, 2014 at 2:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Virgin, God, WTF BlackSwordsman 17 3600 May 2, 2014 at 2:23 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10495 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Is gnostic atheism ironic? CleanShavenJesus 11 2646 October 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Fruity