Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Explanation of the Trinity?
An Explanation of the Trinity?
I was trying to work out a plausible explanation of what the Trinity is exactly, metaphysically speaking. The closest I got was to see the Godhead as a sort of "company" where the 3 members of it all have the right to use the company's name, but they are still 3 seperate entities. But then the problem is that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost aren't "God" just like Bill Gates isn't "Microsoft". Thus the idea of what we commonly mean by "God" is completely lost. On the other hand, if these 3 employees were God/divine, then since they are 3 separate entities working under the "Godhead", we effectively have polytheism.

Any theists have coherent explanations, or can you fix up my analogy above?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: An Explanation of the Trinity?
The trinity is a philisophical turd sandwich. From what I remember, even the most ardent theologians that took on the task of explaining the trinity ended up with nothing more than "god works in mysterious ways." It's completely nonsensical, and every attempt to defend it that I've seen ends with the trinitarian declaring that the human mind is too feeble to understand the conept.

They don't call it "faith" for nothing.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I'm certain that our resident trilogy of G-C, Drippy, and Lyin' Sack will come up with an explanation that satisfies everyone!

Cool Shades
The whole 3 in 1 thing doesn't make any sense until you get the right source material and then you see how it works.

There are a slew of movies that portray this - but you will need to be over 18 to buy them.
(October 8, 2013 at 3:53 am)max-greece Wrote: The whole 3 in 1 thing doesn't make any sense until you get the right source material and then you see how it works.

There are a slew of movies that portray this - but you will need to be over 18 to buy them.

Thinking

Have I been missing out with this trinity stuff?

Hmm...
'God is like a shamrock - small, green and split three ways.' Eric Idle

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sword of Christ Wrote:God is one and Jesus was in some way fully one with God but also a fully normal human man who was born like everyone else. I'm closer to seeing him as type of supreme ascended master, someone more like the Buddha or an Avatar like Krishna. I would see the Holy Spirit as an aspect of Gods power that interacts with his creatures not a separate being. The Trinity business of three gods in one was something they just cooked up in councils it isn't mentioned in the Bible.

Here's an answer: the trinity was a made up concept.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(October 8, 2013 at 2:08 am)Faith No More Wrote: The trinity is a philisophical turd sandwich. From what I remember, even the most ardent theologians that took on the task of explaining the trinity ended up with nothing more than "god works in mysterious ways."

I remember from my religious indoctrination that even the Catholic church considers the trinity a "mystery." Meaning, don't ask about it, because we don't know, but Godidit!
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 8, 2013 at 1:25 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I was trying to work out a plausible explanation of what the Trinity is exactly, metaphysically speaking. The closest I got was to see the Godhead as a sort of "company" where the 3 members of it all have the right to use the company's name, but they are still 3 seperate entities. But then the problem is that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost aren't "God" just like Bill Gates isn't "Microsoft". Thus the idea of what we commonly mean by "God" is completely lost. On the other hand, if these 3 employees were God/divine, then since they are 3 separate entities working under the "Godhead", we effectively have polytheism.

Any theists have coherent explanations, or can you fix up my analogy above?

You are looking at the physical when you try and figure out the Trinity, you need to start with the Spirit and stay with the Spirit.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Evidence for this "spirit" or are you merely full of shit yet again?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences? arda101 39 5922 January 29, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Magilla
  "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion. Pizza 66 15090 February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4097 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist