Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion.
"Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion.
I have two related questions:
1. Does everything have an explanation?
2. Does everything have a cause?
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
RE: "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion.
Don't know if this counts, but some clever guy proved that in any suitably complex mathematical system or something, there will be statements which are true but cannot be proven to be true. Diagonal lemma. Forget the details.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I do believe you'll have to very explicitly explain under what definition of 'cause' you're operating.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
What do you mean by does everything have an explanation?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I do believe you'll have to very explicitly explain under what definition of 'cause' you're operating.
Here's one.
"Causality (also referred to as causation[1]) is the relation between an event (the cause) and a second event (the effect), where the second event is understood as a physical consequence of the first.[2]" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality
Pick a definition then. Pick whatever one you like.
(February 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm)Faith No More Wrote: What do you mean by does everything have an explanation?
Good question. I don't know I was hoping other people could help since I find this concept extremely confusing. It's especially confusing given that explanatory reasoning is not formalized the way deductive reasoning and inductive reasoning are.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(February 18, 2015 at 4:09 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote:
(February 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I do believe you'll have to very explicitly explain under what definition of 'cause' you're operating.
Here's one.
"Causality (also referred to as causation[1]) is the relation between an event (the cause) and a second event (the effect), where the second event is understood as a physical consequence of the first.[2]" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality

"A set of circumstances that necessarily result in a change or event" could be a pretty simple one. I ask just because many (thesits) folks use the word 'cause' to mean 'intent' or 'agent decision'.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
No by default. Show me otherwise
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 18, 2015 at 4:11 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(February 18, 2015 at 4:09 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Here's one.

"A set of circumstances that necessarily result in a change or event" could be a pretty simple one. I ask just because many (thesits) folks use the word 'cause' to mean 'intent' or 'agent decision'.
Yeah, it's annoying when they do that with words.

If a leaf falls to the ground its because of gravity...not some fucking god.
(February 18, 2015 at 3:55 pm)robvalue Wrote: Don't know if this counts, but some clever guy proved that in any suitably complex mathematical system or something, there will be statements which are true but cannot be proven to be true. Diagonal lemma. Forget the details.
Are you talking about Gödel's incompleteness theorems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 764 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] Existential Inertia vs. Sustaining First Cause GrandizerII 8 1141 August 24, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 17887 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 66394 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  God As Grounding Cause datc 75 9959 May 27, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  God As Groundhog Cause BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1198 May 26, 2018 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences? arda101 39 5907 January 29, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Magilla
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 8629 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Bhagavad Gita First Cause watchamadoodle 4 1338 April 6, 2015 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 30605 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist