Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should get the nobel peace prize?
Who should get the nobel peace prize?
As I am opening this thread, the announcement of who will get the Nobel peace prize of 2013 is in an hour.

Like probably alot of people, I have been mainly disapointed with most of the recent peace prizes especialy with the one given to Obama, who definatly did not deserve the prize. The last laureats who definatly deserved it, and with whom the commission made a courragous statement was the Chinese human rights activist Liu Xiaobo and the Yemeni womans rights activist Tawakkol Karman.

So despite whoever wins the prize, I would like to ask you whom you believe deserves the prize most and which laureat would make the best statement by the commission.

For me it is Damas de Blanco, I have given an explaination and discription aswell as left some desciptions of other groups and people that would deserve it.

Damas de Blanco. A peacefull Cuban human rights group which is formed by the wifes of inprissoned opponents of the Cuban regime. It is the most successfull and one of the only legal opposition groups in Cuba and the award would certainly ammount to the pressure on the Cuban regime.

Denis Mukwege. A doctor from the democratic republic of Congo who is known for setting up his clinics in war torn regions of Africa where rape is used as a tactic of war and who despite the horrors of the surrounding war managed to care and shelter up to 40 000 rape victims. He would be someone who would definatly deserve it.

Ljudmila Alexejewa. A veteran Russian human rights activist, who started her career as an activist during the Soviet union and still is active today. The prize going to her would definatly rattle up the Putin regime, aswell as be well deserved for the veteran activist.

Claudia Paz y Paz is a Guatemalan attorny known for her courage by being one of the few people in the justice system to take on former Dictators and their cronies aswell as right wing death squads and drug cartells. A powerfull statement against simply forgetting the crimes of South and Central American dictators aswell as against the violence of the drug cartells is something needed. And she definatly would have deserved it for the courage she has shown.

Malala Yousafzai. The 16 year old Pakistani school girl who has been n active activist for girls education. Giving her the prize would be a powerfull statement against militant islamism.

John Onaiyekan.You may know this catholic bishop from a debate with Stephen Fry, Christopher Hitchens and Ann Widecomb. No matter what you may think of the catholic church, one cant deny that he plays an active role in the current conflicts between muslims and christians in Africa as a mediator and ambassador of peace. Him receiving the prize would make a statement against the violence currently spreading accross where islamic Africa borders christian Africa.
RE: Who should get the nobel peace prize?
I hope Malala.
They are all winners and brave people, but I agree with the captain, Malala is my candidate. (Where's the poll, TGAC? Big Grin)
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 11, 2013 at 6:05 am)Kayenneh Wrote: They are all winners and brave people, but I agree with the captain, Malala is my candidate. (Where's the poll, TGAC? Big Grin)

Didnt make a poll.

The laureat is the OPCW. The organisation overseeing the destruction of chemical weapons.

[Image: grail-knight1-meme-generator-you-chose-p...df5968.jpg]
Pussies. They chose poorly.

Not really. The world will literally breathe a sigh of relief once chemical weapons are finally eradicated once and for all. OPCW does good work.
(October 11, 2013 at 6:07 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Didnt make a poll.

Duh! Big Grin

Quote:The laureat is the OPCW. The organisation overseeing the destruction of chemical weapons.

Well shit. Though I'm definitely pro-destroying-horrible-weapons, this seems to me like when the Unemployment Bureau puts people into classes to get the statistics better, without addressing the underlying problems of why people are out of work and without getting them jobs in the end. Because if it looks good on paper.. Facepalm
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

What? No-one from the Taliban made the list?
Like I do care after Obama received that prize, it has lost all sorts of real value in my eyes.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Meh, I found the most deserving prize the Physics Nobel. It took a giant machine to prove that goddamn particle.
Peace prize shouldn't be about advocacy of political or ideological positions, it should be about major war and influential peace. Using it for political and ideological advocacy cheapens and discredits it. It is okay to award no prizes at all no one this year managed to meet the criteria.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6716 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Let's give the orange turd a nobel prize. ignoramus 15 1183 September 25, 2019 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Shell B
Thumbs Up Global Peace Index onlinebiker 37 2723 August 20, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  World peace, how to make it Inrid 11 1010 October 20, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Should the Romanian who scucessfully hacked into Clinton's server get immunity ReptilianPeon 18 1646 May 6, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Should North America get tougher on its citizens like Singapore? 1994Californication 7 1284 March 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Should your opinions outside the workplace get u fired? BrokenQuill92 8 1898 January 22, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: c172
  Is Iran trying to make peace with the west? Something completely different 0 809 September 25, 2013 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  This Should Get Interesting.... Minimalist 43 17428 May 29, 2013 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Way to go go Lech! Why not also shove your nobel peace prize up your ass!? Something completely different 2 1416 March 2, 2013 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Minimalist