Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why does (-5)*(-4)=20 ?, eom
why does (-5)*(-4)=20 ?, eom
.............................[/size]
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
RE: why does (-5)*(-4)=20 ?, eom
Please tell me you are not from the U.S.
Godidit.

Additional commentary- Why am I not surprised that an avowed christian has trouble grasping simple mathematical concepts?

Yes...it's rhetorical.
Quote:Why am I not surprised that an avowed christian has trouble grasping simple mathematical concepts?

Because they think 1+1+1 = 1?

Just a guess.
(October 12, 2013 at 1:55 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Why am I not surprised that an avowed christian has trouble grasping simple mathematical concepts?

Because they think 1+1+1 = 1?

Just a guess.

guess the answer is so obvious, it can't be explained by the more intelligent?
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(October 12, 2013 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: guess the answer is so obvious, it can't be explained by the more intelligent?

Perhaps you could elaborate a little more on where you are having trouble with the problem.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Perhaps some of you idiots should try explaining if you really do know the reason that two negatives multiplied together give a positive.

I'll give you my take on it - mathematics is invented by humans, and is based on rules, which are also invented. Numbers are not real, and while positive numbers can be likened to reality, somewhat, negative numbers of course cannot. For instance you can 0 Apples, you can 12 Apples, but you can not have -1 Apples. The reason we have negative numbers is that that we can perform negative operations on positive numbers, for instance if you have 12 Apples and negative 9 Apples you now have 3 Apples. Note that you cannot physically have 12 Apples and negative 13 Apples, however you can do this in mathematics. Each integer and each rational number has a negative inverse, which when added together equals zero. For instance 5 + (-5) = 0.

Anyway, the rules are this:

1 * -1 = -1

Now divide each side by -1 (you can just remove it from the left side):

1 = -1/-1

So two negatives divided by each other equal a positive, and the same must be true for multiplication because you can rewrite it like this:

1 = (1/-1) * (-1/1)
1 = -(1/1) * -(1/1)
1 = -1 * -1

That's one reason, and the only other reason I can think of, and it may be the more correct reason, is that -1*-1 = +1 is the only way to solve the equation without causing other mathematical problems and issues with negative numbers. For instance, if -1 * -1 = -1 and +1 * +1 = +1, then how do you transform a negative number into a positive? You can't, but you can transform a positive number into a negative like this: +1 * -1 = -1, so it would have no inverse there would be no way in which to undo it. Another rule that would break is this one - any number "k" divided by itself equals 1 ie k/k = 1, well if -1 * -1 = -1 then for k= -1: -1 / -1 = -1, rule broken!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(October 12, 2013 at 2:16 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(October 12, 2013 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: guess the answer is so obvious, it can't be explained by the more intelligent?

Perhaps you could elaborate a little more on where you are having trouble with the problem.

two negatives result in a positive (a math rule), got that.
understand it's the right answer, and understand adding two negatives is more negatives. but what's the rationale for two negatives mult. equaling a positive number.
Aractus nailed it.
Any number divided by itself must equal 1.
The multiplication rule then comes out of that.
(October 12, 2013 at 2:51 am)Aractus Wrote: Perhaps some of you idiots should try explaining if you really do know the reason that two negatives multiplied together give a positive.

Perhaps he/she should have phrased the question that way, then, because the answer to why -5 * -4 = 20 is that 4 * 5 = 20 and when multiplying two negative numbers, you get a positive. If the last part was what he/she was really after, it should have been phrased more clearly. Apparently, I don't have the mind reading powers that you do.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell