Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Introductory
An Introductory
Greetings ladies, gentlemen and plastic robots. My name is Tom and I live in Kansas which is right there at the heart of America and right above the bible belt. But you can just call me ToriJ or Tori.

Living in Kansas you could probably guess I had a religious upbringing. You can't spit in this place without hitting some sect of Christianity. I was brought up in a pentecostal church before we moved to a baptist church that was closer to where we live so we saved money on gas. The music and singing was kind of a downgrade, but what can you do?

I used to be a hardcore Christian, witnessing to gay people about how being gay was wrong. That went about as well as you'd expect. I was fifteen at the time so naturally I thought I knew everything. Funnily enough even my pastor told me it wasn't a good idea to bring up their sexuality if you knew they were gay while witnessing to them. In recent years I mellowed out a lot and am proud to say I am in full support of LGBT rights and hope that soon Marriage Equality is achieved throughout the country.

Funny story how I ended up here. I remembered what one of my friends said about atheists annoying him and then wonder what would come up if I typed in, "Atheists are annoying." Read an article on telegraphs co UK's blog, which then led me to a counter point from Friendly Atheist, which then led me to a YouTube video highlighting all the crazy things in Genesis, which led me to self doubt, which led me here.

In the past couple of years my spirituality isn't as strong as it used to be. The core beliefs that I was raised with as a kid are still rooted to the back of my mind, but whenever I think things through logically said spirituality decreases, but still has a presence. I feel like I'm in a kind of purgatory between theism and atheism if that makes any sense. I'm just in need of a community where I can find my footing and not be afraid of being attacked for my doubts (insert Doubting Thomas joke here) and an atheist forum just felt like the most logical conclusion. I look forward to getting to know you all.
RE: An Introductory
Welcome.

Get to know us. We're a pretty stellar group of people.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
Hi welcome, don't feel like you need to fall into either camp, it's fine as long as you play nice with everyone, you can live a nice life without ever figuring it out Smile. I personally believe the god question to be unnecessary.

But yea have fun, you sound like you're open to changing your opinions, you'll see a lot of crazy arguments here.
Quote:You can't spit in this place without hitting some sect of Christianity.

That seems like a good exercise, though.

Welcome aboard.
Welcome! You'll learn a lot. Smile
(November 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Hi welcome, don't feel like you need to fall into either camp, it's fine as long as you play nice with everyone, you can live a nice life without ever figuring it out Smile

That's good advice. I keep forgetting there's no need to label my belief system.

(November 2, 2013 at 11:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That seems like a good exercise, though.

Yeah, you'll learn just how Christian they are real quick.

Thanks for the welcome everyone Smile
Hey, there can only be one Tom from Kansas on this board, and since I've been here longer that means you're going to either have to change your name or move. Smile

Seriously, welcome to my fellow Jayhawker.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Well, this is awkward...
I think he was joking. Welcome.
I know, I was playing along. Just didn't know how to make it obvious.

Thanks for the welcome, you two ^^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Introductory T.J. 13 1247 November 11, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Introductory Post Radco 20 2255 January 1, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Le new, completely original introductory topic.. le_procyon 6 2164 April 7, 2012 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: fuckass365
  Introductory Madness Matthaios 34 7687 May 3, 2011 at 11:39 am
Last Post: reverendjeremiah