Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wouldn't heaven feel kinda fake?
wouldn't heaven feel kinda fake?
been thinking about this lately, for example, in heaven god just gives u a nice house, car, girlfriend etc...and i wonder if it will just feel fake or something...

where as in this life, u gotta work hard, have a little luck, and when it all comes together, you may or may not find that special lady or get that awesome job, but if you do it makes it worth EVERYTHING.

so thats why i sometimes think i dont even want to go to heaven because it will just feel fake, and everyone will have everything so there will be no value to anything really. but i guess its better than hell, but i dont believe in hell.
RE: wouldn't heaven feel kinda fake?
I feel comedian Jim Jefferies makes the best case against heaven.

Quote:I don't give a fuck how blissful it is, it's ETERNAL. Eventually, you'll get used to it and then you'll be fucking bored!
(November 4, 2013 at 10:23 am)ToriJ Wrote: I feel comedian Jim Jefferies makes the best case against heaven.

Quote:I don't give a fuck how blissful it is, it's ETERNAL. Eventually, you'll get used to it and then you'll be fucking bored!

Yeah, I would think that too, i figure one day everyone in heaven just sits there kinda bored and gods like "c'mon guys, lets party - yeah we beat satan!!" and everyone just falls asleep.
It goes back to having not being the same as wanting. It's like being excited about the fact you're getting a PlayStation, and you can't wait to get the PlayStation and then after you finally received that PlayStation you enjoy it for a while and then it starts to collect dust and you only take it out on occasion.

Heaven is like being stuck in that room with the PlayStation not being able to shut it off.
(November 4, 2013 at 10:29 am)ToriJ Wrote: It goes back to having not being the same as wanting. It's like being excited about the fact you're getting a PlayStation, and you can't wait to get the PlayStation and then after you finally received that PlayStation you enjoy it for a while and then it starts to collect dust and you only take it out on occasion.

Heaven is like being stuck in that room with the PlayStation not being able to shut it off.

damn that's deep!

so where is the middle ground in all of this? is it like buddhist philosophy that true joy and peace comes from letting go of desires and just being in the present moment?
I honestly don't know. None of the religious afterlifes from what I've seen offer anything satisfactory for the infinite runtime they provide. And being reincarnated and forced to live life all over again would suck. I'm not going through puberty again.
(November 4, 2013 at 10:21 am)leodeo Wrote: been thinking about this lately, for example, in heaven god just gives u a nice house, car, girlfriend etc...and i wonder if it will just feel fake or something...

where as in this life, u gotta work hard, have a little luck, and when it all comes together, you may or may not find that special lady or get that awesome job, but if you do it makes it worth EVERYTHING.

so thats why i sometimes think i dont even want to go to heaven because it will just feel fake, and everyone will have everything so there will be no value to anything really. but i guess its better than hell, but i dont believe in hell.
From my reading of the Bible, I believe we will work in heaven. It will just be completely fruitful work without frustration.

Adam had to tend the garden before the fall. The curse wasn't that he would have to work, it was that his work would become much less fruitful.

Jesus says that his father is still working, and so is he. (John 5:17)

Jesus says he goes to prepare a place for us. That's work.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were scientists in heaven. I doubt that god will give us omniscience on day 1.
Quote:I doubt that god will give us omniscience on day 1.

However long the line is, you should stand on it. You need it.
Doesn't the frustration part make it actual work?

And I didn't know omniscience was ever on the table.
(November 4, 2013 at 11:31 am)John V Wrote:
(November 4, 2013 at 10:21 am)leodeo Wrote: been thinking about this lately, for example, in heaven god just gives u a nice house, car, girlfriend etc...and i wonder if it will just feel fake or something...

From my reading of the Bible, I believe we will work in heaven. It will just be completely fruitful work without frustration.

Adam had to tend the garden before the fall. The curse wasn't that he would have to work, it was that his work would become much less fruitful.

Jesus says that his father is still working, and so is he. (John 5:17)

Jesus says he goes to prepare a place for us. That's work.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were scientists in heaven. I doubt that god will give us omniscience on day 1.

How can work be fruitful if it's unnecessary? God can do anything that needs to be done with no effort (because of omnipotence) so all work is only what God leaves the inhabitants of heaven to keep them busy and engaged. It's all busy work. God already knows the answers the scientists are looking for, he's just witholding the knowledge so they can have the satisfaction of learning it themselves.

Here is a better explanation for why people will be happy in heaven (given heaven being a real thing): spiritual lobotomy. Same reason it won't bother them that many of their loved ones are writhing in eternal torment. In heaven, God just makes sure no one is able to be unhappy.

I go with this: when the idea of heaven was first formulated, most people engaged in back-breaking labor their whole lives. A world in which they could rest in luxury was about the best thing they could imagine. The idea of needing rewarding work to be fulfilled only became common as more people had a choice in how to earn their livings (whether your career is fulfilling enough is pretty much the poster boy for first world problems). So, to modern people in developed countries, the traditional descriptions of heaven sound really...boring. So for many people, heaven now includes career paths.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 13367 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2868 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11366 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5031 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14351 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3580 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  you can keep heaven Amarok 32 6612 November 25, 2016 at 11:54 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy? drfuzzy 55 5885 November 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I feel a bit relieved. Little Rik 238 24220 July 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I hate Church and still feel obligated to go dragonman73 20 4429 May 2, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37